Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

26 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

A giant has fallen and we're restating the same generic problems that, by now, I'm sure leadership is all too aware of. Go read what the youngers on reddit are saying... it's all the same stuff y'all are saying here, only slightly more disrespectful cause they have even more to be ###### about than us old cats who had our time. VMAPA already started the leadership overhaul recently with the CFO turnover, as I said earlier, and no, GR is not coming back to save us. Some of us wouldn't want that anyway.

The beginning-of-the-end and the they-should've-known-better talk is unbecoming at this fresh hour. Go apply to work for them or volunteer if you're really worried. Or maybe start your own doom-and-gloom threads, since it's been pointed out several times that other corps are guilty of many of the same issues...and let the rest of us mourn. Or whatever, do you, I can't stop y'all from dogpiling.

Don't you think I could've piled on too? Don't you think I know stuff that may have contributed to this? Yet I keep it to myself, for once, out of respect for our unique legacy, and a leadership team who is undoubtedly beside themselves at this fresh hour.

Or does class also go on hiatus this season too? Heaven forbid a 22 alum reads this thread... what will each of your contributions tell them about their efforts? I know what it feels like to be used in this activity and now is not the time to rub it in.

This goes way beyond SCV. SCV is symptomatic of the whole business of drum corps.  DCI is on life support and in critical condition. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saddened and distraught by this news. DCI has been on thin ice for years financially and this is what i believe to be the beginning of a slow and painful end. Forget about the cost of running the organization, where are us teenagers supposed to muster up the thousands of dollars to march? This question is what ended my run with Bloo before it even started. we cannot financially afford the cost of contract and travel. The inability for members to afford marching will kill this activity. not enough auditions? No money to field a show. Sad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, totaleefree said:

I know a corps that relied mainly on volunteers, had an old food trailer and spent about a third of that on food.  I know food is an important part of keeping a corps going, and I was a big advocate of increasing what they spent on food. However  things like this need to be looked at if other corps are spending a lot less and feeding their folks well.

none of those numbers I gave you include anything beyond the actual food, equipment to move the corps, and housing.  those are the largest costs associated with this activity.

12 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

THE DAY THAT DRUM CORPS DIED

Fair point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They do fly them in and out though. Jim made airport runs all the time. Practically every stop. I’m sure that expense adds up. 

miles are donated. often flights are super cheap when you can plan ahead. (and many do) this cost is next to nothing compared with what it costs per day to use a facility. 

13 hours ago, Den8uml said:

I feel really bad for anyone who was all in with SCV this season since other corps have already had tryouts and contracts so it’s likely too late. 

Other corps are already reaching out. Just saw something on Cadets site. 

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Regional drum corps worked. But DCI wanted it all.  Well, ya got it all now. 

do you know regional show operators who want to gamble $30K for a possible 10% return, and hope it doesnt get rained out and they lose it all?