Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

So to cut costs, you have to shorten the season, and spend less time on a school facility. 

So, basically, DCA. Not disagreeing with you; the numbers are the numbers. If what ails SCV is what is, or will, ail the rest of DCI, a fundamental rethink of the nature of competition schedule and map is in order.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

First time I saw SCV was early 1970s in Michigan City (old Ames Field).  Main thing I remember was that there were general admission seats around the field; spectators were warned to stay out of the end zone, but someone didn't.  I distinctly remember a SCV guard member marking time on a picnic in the end zone, thoroughly destroying a bucket of KFC.

That old baseball field that had me all discombobulated.  I saw Royer giving the corps what for after the show one year and I said to myself that I’ll just stay here in the bottom tier. 😂 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As one person here likes to (correctly) point out, DCI is the Corps. 

The problem is that they cannot bring themselves to discipline others within the club.  Consider what it took to get GH removed?  Yes, they handled Pioneer/RB, but that Corps didn't fit the current brand, & they didn't like RB too much, so easy decision there.  SCV is different - they are in the club.  And DCI did nothing (visible anyway (happy to be wrong here)) to stave off the implosion.

DCI IS the corps...until one corps has an issue. then DCI is all of the other corps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

thats not meant as a dig.  just a reference for everyone reading along.  i was a good player, not as great a mover.  but you understand what i mean.    

all the student in the top 12 are meat.  monetized performers, sold an experience to tour.   

the mission statement is required to be non profit.   loosely followed to be able to cherry pick "this is how we help "students" when they file taxes, accept grants and donations.  

That's an incredibly pessimistic and shallow view that does not reconcile with the actual experiences that the actual alumni are relaying in this thread and in other places. The Rennicks have only been at SCV for 10 years, and prior to that there was a symbiotic relationship with the cadet corps and other local feeder organizations. You could follow students that were trained by SCV staff from high school, through the cadet corps, and into the A corps. The Blue Devils still have that relationship, and funnel students directly through their other corps into BDA. They are educated throughout their journey, and then given a higher level of education once they reach the A corps. 

You pointing to a few lead positions that are filled mid season don't negate the fact that these organizations are firmly rooted in educating these students throughout their development. Nor the fact that the more successful of the two programs has a more pronounced pipeline of education that is routinely followed, while the one that has very recently broken with that mission is struggling. 

They are both education and service organizations, but the Vanguard has faltered in their mission because a few bad actors pulled them away from that focus in return for some drum trophies. That decision has likely led to their downfall as it left them without a local support structure to pull from. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI IS the corps...until one corps has an issue. then DCI is all of the other corps

One corps (who doesn’t have a “team player” in charge) has an issue….

10 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

So, basically, DCA. Not disagreeing with you; the numbers are the numbers. If what ails SCV is what is, or will, ail the rest of DCI, a fundamental rethink of the nature of competition schedule and map is in order.

DCA has it's own issues...and housing is one of them.

17 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

DCI IS the corps directors who vote on the sheets, the season, the tour, the payouts, everything.  Technically ONLY the member directors.  Everyone else gets to buy into it, or move along.  

But not dealing with things is what they're good at. 

However, as much oversight as a peer organization can provide, they still can't run the individual corps for the Exec Dir.  Thats the ED's job.  their only job in some cases. 

The ED can only do what the DCI Corps Directors allow him to do. 

Similar to the NFL - The owners have empowered Goodell to deal w/ BS that happens so they don't have to deal with it.  DA has a similar job for DCI, but I don't think he has the authority from the Directors to make & enforce tough decisions.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

its easy for theatre and dance programs, who have local building, community programs, and the city can see if real time where their money goes.  you can see shows happening, you can see the kiddie programs, after school arts events, and how it benefits the local area. 

Drum corps is a boat, you toss money into and watch leave.  Only seeing blurbs online of it. 

In San Diego many of the local theater programs, even the 'big' ones that develop Tony-winning Broadway shows, have a ton of community outreaches, education programs, etc.  Most drum corps: not-so-much (or at all?)