Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

so sad. of course i see the usual factors being blame incorrectly, but this to me is THE wake up call DCI and drum corps as a whole needs to learn from.

the whole thing needs to be evaluated top down...each corps, the whole organization. sure the tour looks shorter this year, but it's still going to be expensive. 4-6 weeks of spring training right? how much will that cost?

where is the grant writing? Sponsorships. diversification of revenue streams? I hate to say this, but when a lot of where we are now first came up on RAMD in 97, we predicted this, though it took longer than we expected. But regional touring isn't going to be that much less expensive....still need places to stay, feed the kids, gas from town to town etc. This also kills the whole G7 thing, cause here's one of the 7, and 2 of them were 8th and 9th place.

the whole thing needs some serious business minds tearing it down and building it back up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I find it ironic that their board member William Huston was named as one of "Investopedia’s Top 100 Most Influential Advisors of 2022"... On another note...SCV was also delinquent in State filings in September of 2021...

I just feel so sad for the members...hope they find another home for this summer if they choose to march...

You can offer advice and it not be listened to. Happens to consultants pretty regularly. You don’t have to listen to the advice, you just have to pay for the advice. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

No. Compared to the costs to house a corps at a school those flights are nothing. Staff/admin/show designs and chatchkis (and staff flights) are combined maybe 10% of the budget. Maybe.  that’s being generous.  Sometimes air miles are donated  from board, and friends, or thanks to credit card kickbacks, air fare is sometimes a wash. 

looking at those SCV numbers staff and wages were a lot of the hole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Anyone have a favorite show or memory they want to share?

Easy cowboy.  No ones died and the undertaker is away on vacation.  Let's let the off season move along and see what 23 has instore for us and read the updates from SCV.

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To help increase income going to open up second bingo game. Anyone else worried this is putting too much faith on one income source. PA had good many groups raising money with bingo. Then no smoking law and other changes hurt that immensely.

ask Glassmen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

looking at those SCV numbers staff and wages were a lot of the hole

I’m fairly certain there are gaming costs in that, which when you can’t run gaming, but still need to pay people to bring it back, you accrue costs. 

5 minutes ago, jameseuph said:

Quite a few corps in the red including SCV’s Bay Area neighbor…

Im fairly certain Many generally operate slightly (less than 10k) in the red due to lack of contingency and unpredicted costs, and then they have the “sponsor a meal” “sponsor a mile” “sponsor a garden hose” in season fund raisers which make up that contingency. 

Edited by C.Holland