Pulling the plug

I am going to finals this year.  Only my second time.  I can’t afford to go every year.  I stopped going to Allentown as the hill is just too much for me any more, and rain seems to happen at least one night each weekend.  I can no longer run for cover hen that happens.  Indy eats and steps are easier for me to navigate and more comfortable for my weary bones.  I DO still take the day off on Allentown Friday and drive to Hamburg to catch BD rehearse and run through, and then drive back home to watch on TV.  I will likely do this until I can’t anymore, or until the shows cease. 

• Like 4

Starting around 2001 show design was leaving me behind and I was very anti electronics having seen horrific usage in the band world, so I walked in 04. I went to East in 06 and 08 to see former students and I realized I missed it. So I went back. As I got more involved in indoor I saw how electronics could be used, and show design started engaging me more. 

still some bad usage and sometimes it seems the judging community needs to take some harder stands on it, but I’m glad I’m back 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DWW11 said:

I am going to finals this year.  Only my second time.  I can’t afford to go every year.  I stopped going to Allentown as the hill is just too much for me any more, and rain seems to happen at least one night each weekend.  I can no longer run for cover hen that happens.  Indy eats and steps are easier for me to navigate and more comfortable for my weary bones.  I DO still take the day off on Allentown Friday and drive to Hamburg to catch BD rehearse and run through, and then drive back home to watch on TV.  I will likely do this until I can’t anymore, or until the shows cease. 

I hear ya sister.  That hill is a beast 🤗🥰

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hear ya sister.  That hill is a beast 🤗🥰

And the stands are right in the middle, so at some point you DO have to handle it!😂😂🥰

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

And the stands are right in the middle, so at some point you DO have to handle it!😂😂🥰

Yep.  I don’t like those stairs in Indy either with people pushing and shoving. Calm the #### down.  You aren’t going to miss anything. (I’ve actually said that, btw. Several times.) 

I still go though. I do not let them muscle me because I will muscle you right back. Don’t let the older lady look fool you. 😂 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep.  I don’t like those stairs in Indy either with people pushing and shoving. Calm the #### down.  You aren’t going to miss anything. (I’ve actually said that, btw. Several times.) 

I still go though. I do not let them muscle me because I will muscle you right back. Don’t let the older lady look fool you. 😂 

And that is where we differ!  I absolutely play up the “old, decrepit lady”, because then they don’t push past me quite so much, and they hold doors and carry stuff.  Let them think i am feeble!  They will be very surprised when they find out i am not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At 62, I now buy the VERY lower seats at Allentown.   Closer to the  restrooms AND my once a year funnel cakes. Of course, there still is the souvie mountain to climb......

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have said more than once “I’m not going to Indy next year” and in early September I decide to go. I don’t think I’ll come to a point where I’ll abandon going to shows, but I may decide to spend my vacation time doing something else. Travel to Indy, the hotel, and tickets adds up.

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have said more than once “I’m not going to Indy next year” and in early September I decide to go. I don’t think I’ll come to a point where I’ll abandon going to shows, but I may decide to spend my vacation time doing something else. Travel to Indy, the hotel, and tickets adds up.

I said it after 2010, and kept it intact. I’ll take the hill in Allentown 

• Like 1