#DCI2023 rules proposal voting results

8 Minutes?...Isn't that like BOA ?..So the audience participant(me) will pay more for less(possibly)? So I guess the adjudicators will not penalize a corps for an 8 minute show vs. an 11 minute show of equal quality?Maybe it's me, but I always thought drum corps contests (shows) could evolve into even longer presentations...But I guess logistics and travel considerations prevent that...With an activity that can't guarantee that you will see a show (outdoors), giving fans more not less seems reasonable..Also, going to a show with only 4 or 5 corps is going to be rough if you have to travel more than 2 hours both ways..So FLO will become even more important(yikes)!!!..All the above is just the rambling of a senior citizen who loves drum corps..I defer to my learned DCPers who know the activity better.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

8 Minutes?...Isn't that like BOA ?..So the audience participant(me) will pay more for less(possibly)? So I guess the adjudicators will not penalize a corps for an 8 minute show vs. an 11 minute show of equal quality?Maybe it's me, but I always thought drum corps contests (shows) could evolve into even longer presentations...But I guess logistics and travel considerations prevent that...With an activity that can't guarantee that you will see a show (outdoors), giving fans more not less seems reasonable..Also, going to a show with only 4 or 5 corps is going to be rough if you have to travel more than 2 hours both ways..So FLO will become even more important(yikes)!!!..All the above is just the rambling of a senior citizen who loves drum corps..I defer to my learned DCPers who know the activity better.

DCA does it, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, with shorter shows, it should now cost less to design, teach, and clean the show.  Budget devoted to this part of the financial pie should now be required to decrease proportionally to the decrease in show length.  In addition, spring training (which is a significant cost in terms of facility rental and food costs) can also be shortened.

IIRC, there was already an avenue available for shorter shows - open class for the past 20 years.  And over those 20 years, judges have proven themselves incapable of reconciling the differences in content when shows differ in duration by 3 minutes. 

Now it will be a 5 minute range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

IIRC, there was already an avenue available for shorter shows - open class for the past 20 years.  And over those 20 years, judges have proven themselves incapable of reconciling the differences in content when shows differ in duration by 3 minutes. 

Now it will be a 5 minute range.

So maybe we should have a timing gun go off at 8 min, after which only GE is judged. 

My proposals for next year:

- A ban on proposals that are modified more than once during the meetings.  Proposals are submitted in October, vetted by DCI committees for two months, then published a month in advance of the votes.  The process is intended to produce good ideas, and allow voters to think them through... not to ram through whatever you can get on meeting day.

- A ban on fast-tracking.  Proposals that affect show format or equipment must be for implementation next season, not the current season.  And for any proposal, if it was written for implementation next season, then that is what you vote on.  Without that protection, there are too many incentives for corps to vote "yes" on proposals that give them short-term competitive advantage.

I like drumcorps. 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes. I guess I wouldn't like 0 minutes of drumcorps, which is what I am getting from Vanguard in 2023. I guess I have a hard time waking up and being upset about the length of a show.

Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1