#DCI2023 rules proposal voting results

Y'all, they lowered the MINIMUM, but if you look at most modern shows, they're all super close to the maximum time. I don't think you'll see noticeably shorter shows. Lowering the minimum allows the few corps that want to do that to do it, but still allows most everyone else to design their show they have for years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My favorite site for motivational (de-motivational) posters and calendars. When I worked on site, I had these up all over my office LOL. 

Did they also design the find the >insert image< posters?  I'm still trying to find the space shuttle. 😅 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Shorter rentals on show venues, less time needed to get the show complete as the season has been shortened due to rising costs. 

Not true since there are still 17 minutes between corps performing so even if all the corps just do 8 minute performances, it would take up the exact same amount of time as if all of them did 13 minute shows with the exception of the very last corps. So you can save a whopping 5 minutes of time for a show at best assuming the final corps does an 8 minute show...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

8 Minutes?...Isn't that like BOA ?..So the audience participant(me) will pay more for less(possibly)? So I guess the adjudicators will not penalize a corps for an 8 minute show vs. an 11 minute show of equal quality?Maybe it's me, but I always thought drum corps contests (shows) could evolve into even longer presentations...But I guess logistics and travel considerations prevent that...With an activity that can't guarantee that you will see a show (outdoors), giving fans more not less seems reasonable..Also, going to a show with only 4 or 5 corps is going to be rough if you have to travel more than 2 hours both ways..So FLO will become even more important(yikes)!!!..All the above is just the rambling of a senior citizen who loves drum corps..I defer to my learned DCPers who know the activity better.

length of time isn't ever in a caption judges wheelhouse to punish. now if a show isn't done, and the ending is confusing, well yeah, that could hurt scores, but honestly, SCV in 18 didnt have the ending on til late July and it didn't hurt them.

now the longer you're out there can be an issue, cause it opens up up to more chances for issues to be seen and heard.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

I agree that with fewer shows and fewer corps competing in shows, now is not the time to shorten shows. I wonder if corps who have longer shows will be rewarded for their efforts. I know last summer had a number of challenges, especially for corps that did not participate in the. 2021 season, but I attended a show last summer where a corps only has six minutes of their show completed and they won the division against corps that did have shows that met the length requirement. I didn’t disagree with the placement but did find it unfair that they were not penalized for it. 

why? if what they performed was done better, then why shouldn't they win?

11 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Shorter rentals on show venues, less time needed to get the show complete as the season has been shortened due to rising costs. 

spring training won't shrink.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:46 PM, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Y'all, they lowered the MINIMUM, but if you look at most modern shows, they're all super close to the maximum time. I don't think you'll see noticeably shorter shows. Lowering the minimum allows the few corps that want to do that to do it, but still allows most everyone else to design their show they have for years.

I suppose I should point out that Madison only doing the minimum led to the formation of the 27th Lancers.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Been thinking about this, as I'm sure there's not a group of corps asking for shorter shows.  Maybe it's to allow unfinished shows in early season to remain unpenalized?

Mike

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

length of time isn't ever in a caption judges wheelhouse to punish. now if a show isn't done, and the ending is confusing, well yeah, that could hurt scores, but honestly, SCV in 18 didnt have the ending on til late July and it didn't hurt them.

now the longer you're out there can be an issue, cause it opens up up to more chances for issues to be seen and heard.

Length may not be punished, but if there's less content to judge, I could see that being a liability.

• Like 1