#DCI2023 rules proposal voting results

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Back in the days when DCA prelims and finals were on the same day it was a crap shoot if the concert would be played at Prelims. If a bunch of corps were at prelims then concert would be scrapped to save time. Still remember corps staff yelling “no concert” as we’d go in for prelims

We always ditched concert for prelim shows. But for me, the short prelim shows were over after 1973. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember shows being 11.5 minutes min to 13 minutes max with execution judging stopping at 11.5 (followed by the requisite double starting gun blast). Not sure when that changed. 

52 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We always ditched concert for prelim shows. But for me, the short prelim shows were over after 1973. 

Thanks for the year info on the short shows. I found audio of short shows *cough* somewhere *cough* and thought there was a problem with the recordings. Then I realized they were corps that probably didn’t make finals so prelim recording was only one that existed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Back in the days when DCA prelims and finals were on the same day it was a crap shoot if the concert would be played at Prelims. If a bunch of corps were at prelims then concert would be scrapped to save time. Still remember corps staff yelling “no concert” as we’d go in for prelims

Prelim rules at some of the big events, such as VFW Nats, mandated that there be no stopping at all. You would receive a penalty if the corps stopped. I think prelims shows were 7 1/2 to 8 min in my era. 

We had to really practice NOT stopping at all when we rehearsed prelims shows, as there were often halts built into the regular show. Getting everybody to keep marking time in a spot that was normally a halt was tough. So much rehearsal time was put into the regular show with the stops that getting everybody to keep moving was not easy...all that muscle memory!

Here is an example....Garfield 1971.     1971 VFW Prelims

This is some film from the VFW prelims in Dallas that Roy Perez worked on and posted. At about 1:20 in this video, when we formed the Peace Sign in the prelims show we had to keep marking time and not stop. Note...Roy put our show music to the film, but it is in no way synched. It was silent Super-8 film or something.

Here is the World Open finals video recorded by the Haas family.         World Open Finals

We start to form the Peace Sign at about 9:10 of the video. As can be seen, we do not mark time at all. We are at a halt unless we are moving to our spots before the hit to the stands. This is after concert and is our color pre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TOC said:

Or used some powder.

different rule i believe. 

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They were 13 but we had a concert section in the middle of the show. About three minutes.

In my era the shows were 11 1/2 - 13 minutes. Execution stopped at about 11 minutes. In the World Open finals video I posted above, you hear a gun at about 11 min, 10 seconds. That signaled the end of execution for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I thought drumcorps shows used to be longer by a couple of minutes until they were shortened in the 1980's.

i believe it was 11-13 until 84 or 85 when it went to 11.5 max

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I remember shows being 11.5 minutes min to 13 minutes max with execution judging stopping at 11.5 (followed by the requisite double starting gun blast). Not sure when that changed. 

83 i think

15 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I still get chills when I listen to the early drum corps leaving the field to that double firing...As a performer it signaled the last opportunity to impress the crowd...And isn't that what we were there to do?..peace

• Like 3