Controversial shows

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Imagine the pandemonium if VK had been there with the Surfer Girl or the Sex Cymbals...  

I am not familiar with those shows brother. What year was that?

12 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Haha. I can’t answer that because I was a little too young to follow DCI. I don’t want to make anyone feel old but I think we can guess how young I was based on my age out

Does your momma know you are here commenting with grown folks?!

Just kidding brother! I couldn't resist lol. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I am not familiar with those shows brother. What year was that?

Surfer Girl was in 1987; Sex Cymbals as well (although they may have been in more than one season.  IIRC it was a mechanism thought up by a few of the drummers to bring their girlfriends along for tour).  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Haha. I can’t answer that because I was a little too young to follow DCI. I don’t want to make anyone feel old but I think we can guess how young I was based on my age out

Don't give us the impression that you haven't watched that show.

11 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Does your momma know you are here commenting with grown folks?!

Just kidding brother! I couldn't resist lol. 

I text her every time I log on

• Haha 2

88 had a few…controversial in different ways but still raised eyebrows among fans:

Blue Devils with their black and gray unis, winning most shows up until finals week with a drill many felt was far too easy, etc.  I personally love that show 🙂

Suncoast as mentioned earlier 

Spirit of Atlanta going all classical with white unis and Petrouchka

89 - Sky Ryders going classical and dark with Hindemith and Carmina Burana.  Cadets going Broadway with Les Mis and placing 5th despite a lot of fan love.

90 - Blue Devils choice of Tommy (loved that show too)

91 - Star wins with an unbelievable show, but not all fans were in love with it. It has become legendary as time went on.

Lots more, just don’t have time to continue 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leed17 said:

91 - Star wins with an unbelievable show, but not all fans were in love with it. It has become legendary as time went on.

I was top row lower deck side 2 on about the 30.  The consensus in our area (a bunch of Argonne vets, among others) was that Star did not have a good run (Rondo said as much on the broadcast).  We all thought that Cavaliers had won their first championship, with SCV 2nd & Phantom 3rd.  Star/Cadets/BD all about same in 4th-6th.  This was when I realized that DCI was basing the championship on the season & show design, not the performance on the field at finals.

4 minutes ago, leed17 said:

88 had a few…controversial in different ways but still raised eyebrows among fans:

Blue Devils with their black and gray unis, winning most shows up until finals week with a drill many felt was far too easy, etc.  I personally love that show 🙂

Suncoast as mentioned earlier 

Spirit of Atlanta going all classical with white unis and Petrouchka

89 - Sky Ryders going classical and dark with Hindemith and Carmina Burana.  Cadets going Broadway with Les Mis and placing 5th despite a lot of fan love.

90 - Blue Devils choice of Tommy (loved that show too)

Was it 87 or 88 when scores or placements weren't announced till after the last show performed? I was only 10-11 years old then, but I am sure that had to stir up some people.

Just now, Chief Guns said:

Was it 87 or 88 when scores or placements weren't announced till after the last show performed? I was only 10-11 years old then, but I am sure that had to stir up some people.

I think it was 88 when they prelims scores weren't announced; Corps drew for performance order within groups of 3 (top 3 pick, then second 3, etc).  

I like the idea - if I were in charge I would run it the same way, along with judges that had been sequestered all summer and were seeing shows for the first time.

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think it was 88 when they prelims scores weren't announced; Corps drew for performance order within groups of 3 (top 3 pick, then second 3, etc).  

I like the idea - if I were in charge I would run it the same way, along with judges that had been sequestered all summer and were seeing shows for the first time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what they currently do right now, at regionals drawing groups of three?