Vanguard CEO resigns

So....

Not to poke with a stick, but....

According to the press release, yesterday was Spike's last day. Who is "in charge" in Santa Clara now???

3 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

So....

Not to poke with a stick, but....

According to the press release, yesterday was Spike's last day. Who is "in charge" in Santa Clara now???

And the delay between the announcement and actual leaving was in order to ensure a successful transition.  🤷🏻

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

... So? The talent pool is temporary and ever changing. Vanguard needs to spend some time building up local support again, which over time will lead to a more self sustaining talent pool. Not chase the current pool of national talent that hops corps looking for a ring.

There is no quick solution to this. The organization needs to put the work in here to create a sustainable culture. Investing in its local footprint will do that. 

the key is doing both...which means both corps. I love SCVC, but that alone won't drive the bus in bringing in $$. Getting stable leadership, not living and dying on bingo, reconnecting locally AND nationally.....thats the win win.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:14 AM, AzEuph said:

Exactly. And if you’re an alumni of SCV, are you really going to come back to march SCVC?  No. You’ll go march another elite corps and then SCV loses out on their tight window to recapture some of their superb talent.

There have historically been multiple instances where folks marched SCVC after a season with SCV.

That's besides the point though; the point of SCVC is to develop the future, something that will be needed if SCV doesn't want to keep dropping big bucks to chase after talent from Texas and the great lakes region. I think both corps need to get back on the field ASAP, but I also think a lot of folks miss the huge benefit SCVC provides to developing local(ish) talent that then reinvests in the community music scene after benefiting SCV.

Edited by OpenClassAlum
  • Thanks 2

All this SCV news and detail leaves me confused: Are the clowns being sent in or sent away?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Isn't it bliss?

Don't you approve? 🤷🏽‍♀️

I’ve read your passionate posts throughout this mess and wondered if my corny joke might offend. Appreciate your good attitude and funny response.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 8:27 PM, OpenClassAlum said:

something that will be needed if SCV doesn't want to keep dropping big bucks to chase after talent from Texas and the great lakes region.

Stipulated: DCI membership in any given corps is more national today than ever. But California is the single largest "back yard" of talent in the USA. There is no other state with a potential membership pool within such close proximity as it is to any corps anywhere in Cali, let alone the uber-populated region from the Central Valley to the Bay Area. Why farm Texas when you're sitting smack in the middle of the world's 5th-largest economy? Why sweat the Midwest when your own state has as many people as multiple Midwestern states put together?

There's something fundamentally broken about the idea that a 150-member ensemble situated amid one of the richest pools of human talent on the planet would, as a matter of survival, need to set up a recruiting booth two time zones away, at the Iowa Music Educators Assocation conference.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2