Vanguard CEO resigns

A mutual agreement will allow Mr. Van Wert to continue with the organization until March 17, 2023, to ensure a successful transition of responsibilities and programs.

I assume this means they have a replacement lined up. 

I’m obviously not qualified to talk about what could save SCV but here we go.

1. Vanguard Cadets gotta go. It will be controversial but put them on hiatus or something. There is no way that SCV can support 2 corps. 
2. Go to open class. Costs are cheaper their and you can prove that you are back. 
3. Complete overhaul of the BoD.

4. Maybe (if you can) sell wc license

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So when other corps needed a new head, where did they find them? My low level way of thinking is, if you want to hire someone to run a corps… they should KNOW something about running a corps. Ain’t a huge pool of people out there with this knowledge. 

What just occurred to me is to hire someone from the team that created the San Fransisco Renegades.

One person in particular, who is both a SCV vet & former SCV instructor, comes to mind.  Due to his profession he understands the entertainment business, especially from the legal side.  I am not going to name him (his reaction might well be that he doesn't want to touch SCV with a 80-yard pole).

He used to be quite active on DCP; IDK if he is still lurking.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What just occurred to me is to hire someone from the team that created the San Fransisco Renegades.

One person in particular, who is both a SCV vet & former SCV instructor, comes to mind.  Due to his profession he understands the entertainment business, especially from the legal side.  I am not going to name him (his reaction might well be that he doesn't want to touch SCV with a 80-yard pole).

He used to be quite active on DCP; IDK if he is still lurking.  

That would be interesting as thinking possible different personality types (and shows ‘gades did). and leaving it at that.

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

If going with alum is on the table still, then most of us need to have demonstrated that we thoroughly understand and honor safeguarding, including mandated reporting requirements/recommendations and HIPAA law to oversee the safety and wellness team. Our corps has never been a fertile ground for preparing members or staff on such matters. We have a steep learning curve and a "suck it up buttercup" culture that has to be addressed and mitigated if we want to keep Gen Z interested in the industry, IMHO.

Even better if you can find someone who already has experience with safeguarding and HIPAA compliance. In the case you can't find that unicorn hire because no one on your board specializes in safeguarding or executive recruitment (snarky assumption here, admittedly,) then a solid fall back option would be significant training and compliance for whoever is hired. And not SafeSport, which is inadequate for addressing executive level employee responsibilities.

My trust for industry insiders is all but gone in these matters until they dedicate time and energy to demonstrating compliance and buyin.

IMHO, whoever is hired should immediately hire you as assistant.  

What you say above is true;  but there are so many challenges there right now that I don’t think any single individual can address everything.  Just as important as member safety is fiscal stability, and the two are related.  When money is super-tight, safety is something that can slide (don’t take member w/ injured ankle to hospital (costing $), just put some ice on it & sit out the afternoon). 

If it were I taking the job, I would say that I am bringing these people with me, and paying them out of my salary.  And make clear that they are heard as we move forward. 

27 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The Renegades were built brand; SCV already has a brand.  

True, but thinking of people who didn’t see the Renegades checking out their shows. 🤯🤯🤯🤯 

Still have my “Drum Corps Is Evil” shirt…