Closers

How about the opposite?  Shows where adding later in the season worked against a particular corps/show?

2015 Cadets (“The Power of 10”) comes to mind.  Things seemed to take a turn for Cadets that year after switching to the black uniforms.  I’m sure there were other design issues with the show, but as was mentioned above, Cadets seemed to be in the conversation that year, up until the switch.  That uniform switch was hyped so much, and then just seemed to fall flat with the judges.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Most Corps are adding/  deleting/ changing up things all through the season as they get judges feedback or it was in the plans to do so all along.  

Yup.  Most visual staff have stuff they want to add once the show is decided on.  They must feel it is easier to add gradually so the mm get comfortable with the other recently added additions.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

How about the opposite?  Shows where adding later in the season worked against a particular corps/show?

2015 Cadets (“The Power of 10”) comes to mind.  Things seemed to take a turn for Cadets that year after switching to the black uniforms.  I’m sure there were other design issues with the show, but as was mentioned above, Cadets seemed to be in the conversation that year, up until the switch.  That uniform switch was hyped so much, and then just seemed to fall flat with the judges.

Didn't BD 2002 scrap and re-write the entire show mid-season?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Didn't BD 2002 scrap and re-write the entire show mid-season?

Not sure about BD, 2002, but for those here who might want to take a ride in the " way back " time travel machine ( .. haha ), the DCI 1975 Defending Champion Madison Scouts came out in '76 and scraped a HUGE chunk ( about 3/4ths or more ) of their music/ drill. Early that season they were losing to 27th Lancers. Phantom Regiment, SCV, BD. They did a major rewrite, played catchup that season and almost caught the winning Corps Blue Devils by Championships.... finishing runners up.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

I sorta liked the black uniforms to be honest.  

The one they killed at the end of the season for me was 2014.  

• Like 1

As was mentioned by Quad Aces, some changes (late in season) may not be aesthetically as pleasing as before the change..I point to 2019 when the Bluecoats changed their ending from the classy, logical, quiet walk up and bow to the more typical loud, screeching ending, for GE points? Granted, the Devils were definitely deserving of victory but I really enjoyed Bluecoats' early season closer..It made sense..imo..peace

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Me too. I got skewered for that one. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

The one they killed at the end of the season for me was 2014.  

I agree on the black uniforms.  And 2014 was my runner up in this category (show additions that went in the opposite direction).

I was so excited for the black uniforms, but when they finally debuted them, it was pretty obvious from night one that they didn't work as well as the regular ones.  For whatever reason, autumn colors just popped better on the field than the black and neon - the whole corps just looked smaller by comparison.  

It was such a shame too - that show absolutely *cooked* and I thought it was the dark horse to win it all.

Mike

• Like 2