How often is the finals performance the BEST performance of a corps ?

On 4/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

If it ever happens at DCI finals the 💩 would hit the fan.  

I'm pretty sure the "no caption wins" thing happened at DCA's championship show in 1972. 

The Hawthorne Caballeros won the show, but took none of the four captions...  brass, percussion, marching, GE. 

The Cabs won the show by less than one point. The second-place NY Skyliners had a one-point penalty that cost them the title. 

You want to hear crap hitting the fan, you should hear some of the old-timers from that year who STILL argue about that result!!! 😂

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm pretty sure the "no caption wins" thing happened at DCA's championship show in 1972. 

The Hawthorne Caballeros won the show, but took none of the four captions...  brass, percussion, marching, GE. 

The Cabs won the show by less than one point. The second-place NY Skyliners had a one-point penalty that cost them the title. 

You want to hear crap hitting the fan, you should hear the old-timers from that year who STILL argue about that result!!! 😂

Yeah, it was only 51 years ago. 😂 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

One of those times we could use a "get over it already" icon/emoji.  😆

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

One of those times we could use a "get over it already" icon/emoji.  😆

:poke:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Drum corps people do hold grudges. Our snare line still gets blamed to this day for a two tick penalty for not picking up our feet while marking time at VFW prelims. It was more of a toe wiggle we did.  We wanted to look cool like SCV's snares who barely (but apparently legally) lifted their feet. Big friggin whoop. Those ticks cost us 19th place instead of 20th. Every corps watching party or reunion for 50+ years we hear about it and loudly. "You a*h's. We coulda beat the Nisei Ambassadors!" 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

You want to hear crap hitting the fan, you should hear some of the old-timers from that year who STILL argue about that result!!! 😂

thats worse than 96!

On 4/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, 84BDsop said:

Our run was definitely better than prelims...but BD is typically good at turning it on Saturday night.

Cadets at the time -- and for years after --  were masters of peaking at the right time.  However, I've had a number of alums from that show tell me they felt their prelims run was the "golden show."  They thought they'd LOST finals, so topping us was a surprise (#### it).

SCV had a good run....but after they almost screwed the pooch at prelims (arrived to the gate late -- at a dead run), that was easy to do.

Good points. Of all the corps that can turn it up on Finals night, the Blue Devils are the Kings. More times than not BD will bring the mustard and lay down a killer Finals performance. I have seen them do it too many times. Great teaching and training. If they are in contention then in most cases they will win. Hence 20 DCI Championship. 

Garfield in 1984 was certainly a special show. One of my favorites ever, but they don't win if their GE and visual were simply not off-the-charts amazing. With a slightly less innovative show in visual and GE their outstanding brass line could have only done so much when their percussion was 7th in field and I think 9th overall. It would have been BD, SCV, Phantom, Madison, then Garfield. But of course Garfield's WSS show was a paramount moment for DCI. We simply had not seen anything like that to that point. By the way, musically speaking that was a great top 12. The top 5 were playing some fantastic music and the brass lines all sounded amazing to me. 

I remember seeing Blue Devils at prelims in Montreal, CA in 1982 and part of me wanted SCV to win (and that was before they put in the Bottle Dance for finals). But when I saw BD on Finals night at Olympic Stadium I was in awe over the whole thing. The brass was so professional and sounded like they were in a different league from all the other groups. Percussion was on fire and the visual was so spot on that about 1 minute into the show my Dad turned to me and said Blue Devils will win Big. They did. Killer finals performance by BD, just like what they did in 1984. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is theoretically possible to be second in all captions and still win if the caption winners are spread among several other Corps. 

This is mostly how Madison Scouts won in 1988. I believe they were top 3 across the board. I don't know what Madison's caption were for semifinals. They performed their best show in semis and had a fairly big spread in total score over everyone else so I have to believe their caption strength in semis was strong. Their Finals performance was not as strong. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thats worse than 96!

LOL!!! And '96 put '77 on the back burner for some. 😂

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

This is mostly how Madison Scouts won in 1988. I believe they were top 3 across the board. I don't know what Madison's caption were for semifinals. They performed their best show in semis and had a fairly big spread in total score over everyone else so I have to believe their caption strength in semis was strong. Their Finals performance was not as strong. 

Madison finished 1st in GE brass & percussion and Visual performance, 2nd in GE visual and performance brass & percussion at semis.  BD took brass performance and Cavies too visual GE.  Scouts had a 1.1 point lead on BD and 1.5 points on SCV.

Finals night, Madison took GE brass and visual performance, finished 2nd in GE perc & visual, but 3rd in performance brass & percussion.  SCV won GE perc & visual, BD won brass performance and Cadets won percussion performance.

Madison, BD, Cavies scores all went down at Finals and SCV and Cadets went up.  Vanguard went 5/4 in visual performance/GE at semis to 3/1 at finals.  How do you go from 4th in visual GE to 1st in one night?  Oh yeah... you make the phantom disappear as well as the entire hornline.

• Like 1