Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

On 4/27/2023 at 4:39 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I believe NCAA limits the number of hours football teams can practice during spring, training camp, fall season & for bowl games.   Doesn’t include things like weight room, film/playbook work, informal QB tossing ball around w/ receivers and maybe other stuff.   But it does limit impacts where guys are most likely to get injured.  Perhaps Drum Corps needs something like this.  

Yes yes yes yes yes.  Limit on field rehearsal time at the circuit level.  Corps will *not* do this on their own. 

Mike

17 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

Am I reading this correctly that one way they hope to increase revenue is to raise tour fees by $100-$200?

31 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

No, they're saying that by increasing BINGO/Grants/Donations that they'll be able to keep tour fees largely the same, but be in a better position.

$100-$200/year is about what inflation will be.

Still shaking my head that this is discussed with the alumni association and (from what I can tell) no where else. 🤷🏻🤯

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Does that cover the alumni association? Would think that is a separate organization. Their last post for fundraising on FB is early April.

edit: reread the link and fundraising paused until paperwork ok. 

I would agree wit this as well. However, the organization as an entity has been really grabby on control of the alumni association, to the point the organization and its employees control the FB page. So it's really hard to draw the line between Alumni Association actions and the organization. Then, as one reads the Alumni Association meeting notes it appears mainly to be a communication channel from the Organization to the Alumni. The organizations finger prints are all over the Alumni Association. 

Efforts are in place to create a separate non profit entity Alumni Assoc, and that would probably meet any conflicts of interest tests. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Still shaking my head that this is discussed with the alumni association and (from what I can tell) no where else. 🤷🏻🤯

So, I sit here 4 miles away from SCV place of business. Frustrated from the lock out of the power structure. 

But it is in the means of SCV's Bingo Operations to have a $0 cost tour fee (or just about). 

2019 left off with $3.5M net income for bingo operations. That is nothing else folks. Throw in tour fees, and all other income, and SCV is easily working with over $5M. 

Blue Coast expenses for 2019 were $2.47M

If SCV wanted to make the entire experience free they could easily do it with just operating one Corps.

Replace greed and power grabs with heart and mission focus and it can be done. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but the economic means and capability is there. 

I think doing that makes a statement things have changed for the better when they come back. They are in no position to ask for premium tour fees when BD and Mandarins are right there as well. 

In fact................. I refrained from pointing this out, but there are a bunch of "would have been" 2023 SCV members who went to the likes of other corps. These kids were given scholarships to those corps from SCV Alumni. OK great. I am so happy for this.

My point is, those kids that went to Crown, BD, BC, etc...... all have a WAY BETTER CHANCE at a championship than they would have ever had than with SCV. They will go on to be alumni of those corps, and have those experiences. 

There are some folks in life that missed their train that ended up derailing, and are better off for it. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I'm not shocked.  I've worked for three companies that had some really bad times and the only reason anything ever got off the executive floor was reporting requirements for publicly traded companies.  Who does the board really have to answer to?  Donors? MM's and their parents?  It sounds like they are acting completely out of fear and a lack of understanding specific to their situation.

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Who does the board really have to answer to?  Donors?

In the successful non profits I've worked for, they answer to a wide variety of key stakeholders. This ideally includes members/customers, their loved ones, alumni, individual donors and staff first... all internal stakeholders. External stakeholders are like corporate sponsors, institutional funders, as well as local and other activity based communities.

If you don't have someone in leadership, board or staff, who has experience mitigating these oft competing stakeholders, you're gonna have a bad time. NP stakeholders are the same thing as  for profit share holders, only they invest in more ways than money. But they should be treated with the same respect because they bring the boys to the yard.

Alumni are stakeholders. But you have to make sure they all have an equal voice or a clear mechanism for advancing goals fairly. As far as I can tell, most alum just want positive news exclusively. So what is the best way to accept and integrate constructive feedback when only good news is welcome?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

In the successful non profits I've worked for, they answer to a wide variety of key stakeholders. This ideally includes members/customers, their loved ones, alumni, individual donors and staff first... all internal stakeholders. External stakeholders are like corporate sponsors, institutional funders, as well as local and other activity based communities.

If you don't have someone in leadership, board or staff, who has experience mitigating these oft competing stakeholders, you're gonna have a bad time. NP stakeholders are the same thing as  for profit share holders, only they invest in more ways than money. But they should be treated with the same respect because they bring the boys to the yard.

Alumni are stakeholders. But you have to make sure they all have an equal voice or a clear mechanism for advancing goals fairly. As far as I can tell, most alum just want positive news exclusively. So what is the best way to accept and integrate constructive feedback when only good news is welcome?

Good info.  At the companies I've worked for, if big stakeholders don't like what they see/hear, they use their checkbooks and have board members replaced with their own people.  I don't see this as an option here though.  Am I wrong?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Good info.  At the companies I've worked for, if big stakeholders don't like what they see/hear, they use their checkbooks and have board members replaced with their own people.  I don't see this as an option here though.  Am I wrong?

And let’s not forget the piece that corps have that lot of nonprofits don’t have. That piece is having to get new members (marchers) every year or they can’t operate. If BoD doesn’t get the word out to potential members that could hurt recruitment. And if SCV makes it back but has a bad (for SCV lower than top 3) season due to recruitment problems…. (You can fill in the blanks).