Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

On 5/2/2023 at 11:30 PM, Richard Lesher said:

I've played this game before with them. Bad people don't eventually do good things. Waiting for it to magically happen just doesn't work that way.

I've more than dragged on my actions long enough and dropped enough hints they should have been able to act fast enough to counter anything I do, but they don't. They literally have been lying since 2020. 

1) Sept 2022 I offered to help with a bingo committee. Told thanks but no thanks

2) OK fine, did a wait and see from Sept, and then the A-Corps gets the boot in Dec. right after taking audition money. OK GAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Clearly something was up they were never going to disclose. 

3) Filed a DCI ethics complaint in Jan 2023 revolving around the unethical conduct of the core leadership. Again, nothing happened. 

3a) I ponder the Bingo payroll question and SCV comes at me with an attorney, and attorney by the way who was on the Board of Directors when SCV stopped conducting audits. I didn't know that then, now I do, and it has embolden me and my efforts. He and SCV leadership are lying or at best misrepresenting the truth. 

4) Things meander along aimlessly with oblivious planning. Jeremy Van Wert eventually forced to resign, but no other action forward. 

5) I dig up the Dept of Justice notifications going back three years. OK, this is a long standing problem, they are ignoring best advice and locking out material efforts to help from all directions. So I submit ANOTHER ethics complaint to DCI with the DOJ letters as support. AGAIN, DCI is all about I hope SCV fixes itself. 

6) Time is up and time to purse another legal complaint avenue. I have one more card to play, and that is to submit a complaint to the CA Gaming Oversight Commission and just attack Bingo Head On. 

I have reconciled the possible consequence of my actions. I am at peace. I think at the end of the day the worst regulators will do is force SCV to fix itself if that means closing up shop and coming back later after it fixes everything and asks permission to start back up again. 

I am not the one that started 2022 with $5M in liquidity and run it into the ground

I am not the one that closed both corps. 

I am not the one that defaulted on short term debt

I am not the one that shut off $1,200,000 in member tour fees used to pay bingo staff

I am not the one that stacked the overhead with staff

I am not the one that continues to allow the Bingo Manager to work from home from Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!

If these people are not stopped they will run SCV into a situation where SCV loses the Bingo Hall. If that happens then SCV and anything else that could rise is done. Even if they lose a bingo license, they could probably get that back after they turn a new leaf. If they lose that building that's that. 

If all that is standing in the ashes is the building, and the ability to start up bingo from scratch, and start up a new program from scratch that still gives them a few million a year to work with, and that's plenty. 

I am honored folks think I am the all powerful internet Troll.

My power comes from SCV's leadership's inaction.

It would be so easy to defeat me if by time my complaints work through the State's system that by time they connect with SCV that SCV is in a position to hand off the complexities of the situation to their CPA firm focusing everything on the problem at hand. 

If the state gets to them, and nothing has happened, welp, they had it coming. 

whoa nelly...not blaming you for anything. and again, if you read what i wrote and you quoted, i want them back and run well and legally.

but i am also telling you that your quest to correct the wrongs you perceive done by others ( not saying you're wrong, just covering all bases), that going the distance could indeed kill the organization forever....and never be reborn.Saying that isn't me saying not to do it or do it. i am just saying that the end result could be the forever death of that which you want to save. Glad you feel ok with that. it could bring you far more enemies than you have now.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ZTWright said:

Entire overhaul. Completely clean sweep and clean slate. As "tight knit" as the organization claims to be, there had to be some sort of info floating around the entire organization. A clean sweep means cleans slate to start rebuilding from the ground up, which is what needs to happen.

you clearly overestimate what instructional staff is told until it's too late

10 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Respectfully, I don't think there's that many corps administrators sitting on here reading forums. If people want to ensure their corps is in compliance and handling funds responsibly, they're better off going to the corps and asking the questions. This thread is just beating a dead horse at this point. 

you'd be amazed who reads DCP

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

To claim that whistleblowers wouldn't want SCV around is rich.

If anything, we want it around more than the general public and we want it at a higher standard that doesn't subject members and staff to harmful environments. Everyone I know who has blown the whistle also offered to help, before and after blowing the whistle.

Just because all you see a whistleblower do is post online, doesn't mean that's all we do. We're doing the public a service by reporting out what we find when we have consent to do so. And there are legal protections for us for a reason... what we do is difficult.

Most of the other alum are fully disengaged (can't be contacted) or have stepped away in frustration. Sorry Vanguard is stuck with me...

Perhaps Vanguard didn't really "choose me" like it did the others.

i'm not blaming whistleblowers. i am just saying their efforts could lead to the opposite result of what they really want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

not reading 40 pages and can assume its the same people arguing as usual. 

Sounds like SCV just joined Glassmen with modern day poor spending habits.  No they wont be back.  An alumni group will try to carry on after they fold and they wont achieve anything outside taking money to pay the storage locker bill.  It is time to start putting your SCV eggs into Golds basket because that will be your future California powerhouse.

RIP 🌹

not a lot of arguing actually

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 3:04 PM, ECJ94 said:

Really surprised nobody has noticed this tidbit, which bears directly on the topic of this thread:

• “Fundraising - Currently paused. Being held up by filings and those are in process. Don't anticipate any issues with the completion of the filings. 
  • Turned off fundraising but can accept if people are willing to donate. 
  • 2021 is the only late RCT is backlogged. 2022 is not late.”

[RCT = California’s Registry of Charitable Trusts, the oversight body for nonprofits. If true, the above statements suggest the state webpages do not quite reflect current status. There’s no question the org got behind in its filings - the state’s letters online prove that - but it’s possible they began fixing it sooner than the state site currently shows]

[Getting current in CA also means getting current on audits, if revenue >$2 million. So unless they’re actively misleading people, they must have a plan there, which would be good news]

Edited by Geneseo83Quads
add quotes
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm not blaming whistleblowers. i am just saying their efforts could lead to the opposite result of what they really want.

There is no textbook for how to do this.

The institution is immensely more powerful than any one whistleblower, it's why the protection laws exist. I have chosen to side with the truly less powerful in these situations because I've endured the lasting effects of mistreatment. Their capacity to recover from their experiences, when the industry as a whole continues to require their silence about what they endured, is hindered. And the industry's capacity to improve is too.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm surprised (well maybe not) DCI doesn't already have something that requires corps must be in full compliance with any and all state laws and regulations in terms of operating as a non-profit. 

They probably do.  But you are forgetting that the degree to which DCI applies rules is inversely proportional to competitive rank.

• Thanks 3

What time of year should a corps have their “stuff” together for the next competitive season? Or what time should they START to have it together. SCV still can’t even find an executive. And don’t want to hear how rest of the staff should know how to handle things without a leader. Not being able to find one is a bad sign.

See posts saying it’s one thing to pay off the past debt but what will be done so this doesn’t happen again. No response to that. Also nothing seen on what is being done or an expected timeline on correcting the CA paperwork mess. 
If there has been any movement it’s been very slow. Meanwhile four months from now the 2023 season will be over. What position will SCV be in four months from now? 
Do I want to see SCV fail.. NO! Have seen too many corps go under and activity is in bad enough shape without this corps going kaput. And how many other corps have behind the scenes crap that would hurt them if the truth would come out. THAT’S why I’m following this thread closely

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you clearly overestimate what instructional staff is told until it's too late

Especially when you hear Rennick's reaction when asked about it on the DCCS podcast.