Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly there is no win win situation. all it takes is a kid ###### at an adult and boom accusations fly. or an adult thats had the ##### of a certain kid.

Ok - Adults are the problem so let’s take this to its logical conclusion: Remove adults from the activity.   Corps are completely run by the members.   They raise the money, design & teach show, hire the transportation, cook the food, everything.  

For the record, I don’t think this would work too well. 

7 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Everything I'm reading says blacklisting is illegal in most states. Am I looking at misinformation?

Heck, MAASIN can't even go on record affirming that VMAPA corroborated my report. So now, apparently I'm without validation again. (More importantly, how the heck is a younger survivor supposed to navigate such a mess when I'm stumped and my profesional career focused on safeguarding?)

I've said it before. This industry seems to have been historically more consistent about blacklisting young members that made age-appropriate mistakes than staff/leadership who violate members. That necessitated leadership sharing young people's confidential info without consent. I'd love to see the same rigor applied to violators.

But you'll forgive me, I hope, if I'm lacking faith in the industry’s capacity to do so.

I appreciate what you are doing here.  And I think others do as well.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Not quite sure about that.  Sex offender lists are readily available.  I'm fairly certain in some states the offender is required to notify the community they live in.

Ty. But aren't those government- sanctioned and run? Private entities are regularly discouraged by their lawyers not to make blacklists for legal reasons in the resources I'm reading.

I'm not against exploring this idea. I just have to keep in mind that for blacklisting to work, which MAASIN ruled out for at least themselves, violators have to be reported.

I have 40 instances of violations sitting in my paper notes because so few will report to other entities. Many have no interest in reporting to Vanguard or DCI. I don't think any of us went to the cops.  No. 1. Just 1.

That's why I'm working on the advocacy and support side. It's crucial that all people involved know the red flags of a predator and what to do when they see them before a blacklist, if it's feasible, can work.

Not sure if I read all the intents correctly but…

Problem with an internal DCI blacklist is you have people who work with corps, school and private groups. Having a “list” that only DCI knows about is not protecting the other groups.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Ty. But aren't those government- sanctioned and run? Private entities are regularly discouraged by their lawyers not to make blacklists for legal reasons in the resources I'm reading.

I'm not against exploring this idea. I just have to keep in mind that for blacklisting to work, which MAASIN ruled out for at least themselves, violators have to be reported.

I have 40 instances of violations sitting in my paper notes because so few will report to other entities. Many have no interest in reporting to Vanguard or DCI. I don't think any of us went to the cops.  No. 1. Just 1.

That's why I'm working on the advocacy and support side. It's crucial that all people involved know the red flags of a predator and what to do when they see them before a blacklist, if it's feasible, can work.

Consider the Hopacalypse - the legal system was involved & the perp, who pled guilty, didn't end up on the Sexual Offender list.  And he still hangs around the periphery of the activity.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Consider the Hopacalypse - the legal system was involved & the perp, who plead guilty, didn't end up on the Sexual Offender list.  And he still hangs around the periphery of the activity.  

Any wonder why I was hair-trigger livid last season when I got wind he wanted to/did visit his daughter at a show Vanguard was at?

Hasn't my corps endured enough predators through our ranks without adding more risks?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Any wonder why I was hair-trigger livid last season when I got wind he wanted to/did visit his daughter at a show Vanguard was at?

Hasn't my corps endured enough predators through our ranks without adding more risks?

You were only the first in line of "hair-trigger livid".   May of us were in the line as well.

I wonder where (if) his daughter is teaching this year?  Although I am somewhat hesitant to punish her for the sins of her father. 

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You were only the first in line of "hair-trigger livid".   May of us were in the line as well.

I wonder where (if) his daughter is teaching this year?  Although I am somewhat hesitant to punish her for the sins of her father. 

I've decided to keep my limited opinions about her to myself. Too many DCPers jump to her defense before taking a breath to understand that I have lived experience with drum corps abuse (that doesn't give me blanket authority by any means) but does mean I have direct, professional experience in handling such situations.

What I can say is hiring the daughter of such a person without taking significant, clear and transparent actions to keep her father away would be a risk to member safety. Not saying this didn't happen cause I wasn't there. Just seems like a risk I wouldn't be willing to take, but perhaps that's why I'm on the outside. Perhaps there's too much liability in even addressing it from an organizational standpoint.

She's at Phantom now.

• Thanks 1