Mandarins 2023

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I kind of liked 1987; that was first year they did Autumn Leaves w/ the pit & tenors on snare.  Saw them in Birmingham, brought 11-week old daughter number one (gotta start them early).  

That was my first year marching in drum corps, so all those shows that season left an impression on me (OBSESSED with Sky Ryders’ WSS that year). To this day, I melt every time I hear Autumn Leaves because I loved hearing Bluecoats play it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I kind of liked 1987; that was first year they did Autumn Leaves w/ the pit & tenors on snare.  Saw them in Birmingham, brought 11-week old daughter number one (gotta start them early).  

Went to high school with at least two of the guys in this corps...  I'm OLD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Went to high school with at least two of the guys in this corps...  I'm OLD!

Yeah I went to HS with someone who marched this show too. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 8:48 AM, JohnDF said:

Let's Go Mandarins...Nicely Done!😎

There are so many people celebrating other big victories tonight, which is awesome. I just wanted to sneak in here and point out that the Mandarins outscored Phantom. I have nothing but great things to say about Phantom, and really love their show. That makes me even more proud of the Mandarins for this win! Keep it up!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MandarinMom said:

There are so many people celebrating other big victories tonight, which is awesome. I just wanted to sneak in here and point out that the Mandarins outscored Phantom. I have nothing but great things to say about Phantom, and really love their show. That makes me even more proud of the Mandarins for this win! Keep it up!

Cardinal sin(nerman) comparing scores from different shows, but the fact that the Mandarins scored an 82 the same night at least tells me they are right there with Phantom to push for that 5th spot. I also think the Cadets have a lot of talent and will be right there as well. It's going to be an exciting final month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CAtenhut said:

Cardinal sin(nerman) comparing scores from different shows, but the fact that the Mandarins scored an 82 the same night at least tells me they are right there with Phantom to push for that 5th spot. I also think the Cadets have a lot of talent and will be right there as well. It's going to be an exciting final month.

First of all, Ioved the pun. Second, you are absolutely right about comparing the scores from different shows. I am just in awe that they are in the same realm. It looks like their will be some great competition happening, for sure!

• Like 2

Tonight was my first viewing for Mandarins. I'd have them solidly in the 5-8 grouping along with Phantom, Cavies and Cadets. Those are some storied names to now be on par with. Well done.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Super Don-O said:

Tonight was my first viewing for Mandarins. I'd have them solidly in the 5-8 grouping along with Phantom, Cavies and Cadets. Those are some storied names to now be on par with. Well done.

And to further elaborate, it’s great to be on par with them during strong years. Mandarins has beaten all three of those corps during these past three years as a finalist at various points throughout the tours (if I recall, they only beat Cadets once in head-to-head). To have Phantom doing as well as they are AND to have Mandarins still in the conversation is just incredible. 

• Like 5