The absinthe ritual

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Honestly, there is so much worse happening in this country and y’all want to clutch your pearls at this? Lord save us all if this all you care about. 

We are not having a discussion about what is happening in the country.  That would not be a suitable topic in the Drum Corps Planet World Class Forums.  There is Twitter if a person thinks the world cares about his or her opinion on non-drum corps related issues..

We are having a discussion about the theme of one drum corps in 2023.  So far a few individuals but not all have expressed support for an alcohol themed show. 

There is also push back by those who don't think "anything goes" when it comes to subject matter for a drum corps show.  I offered an opinion that there are boundaries for thematic based show and this one has been crossed. 

No one is going to change their mind because of what I think on this and I won't waste my time arguing with those who already have their mind made up.  I just want to let the other posters who have a similar viewpoint to mine know that you are not alone.

I'll leave it at that.

Edited by wvu80
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is an old, I believe Australian, saying that goes ‘Alcohol is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master’.  

And, just because the show is about absinthe, that doesn’t mean Blue Stars are doing shots before and after each performance. 

Crowd may want to

On 7/2/2023 at 10:48 PM, oldestoftheold said:

the music and visual of this program is good. The concept is concerning especially when a core of your audience is under the age of 21. I think a show about alcohol is in poor taste. 

I’m torn on this and actually heard this mentioned on an activity related podcast. No I don’t think the corps is promoting alcohol usage. I’m no stranger to booze but I had to look up what this drink was when it was announced as I wasn’t familiar with it. I can only imagine in these times if other people do research and have concerns. 

14 hours ago, arabica said:

Or BD’s Godfather. 😂

It was just business not personal 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Or Exo-Genesis because it promotes traveling to another planet and Manifest Destiny-ing it.

Or VK 88….. it promotes bull urination 

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Weird flex when nobody has a problem about sinning but you draw the line at a drink. (for the record I'm fine with both)

Heathen 

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Any show centered around alcohol performed by young people is 100% inappropriate. 

In this particular case of a junior drum corps performing such a show I would hope the judges would recognize how inappropriate this is and downgrade its scores accordingly.

Well percussion must be then 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m torn on this and actually heard this mentioned on an activity related podcast. No I don’t think the corps is promoting alcohol usage. I’m no stranger to booze but I had to look up what this drink was when it was announced as I wasn’t familiar with it. I can only imagine in these times if other people do research and have concerns. 

Me too. I’m glad I caught this discussion thread before I saw Blue Stars in Mason. It helped me better understand what the heck they were doing on the field. 

Overall, I’m okay with the show concept. If we ban subject matter anyone finds offensive, all shows would be Mary had a little lamb. Even then, someone would be bothered by Mary and her lamb. That said, I don’t think I would have picked this concept if I were program director. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Honestly, there is so much worse happening in this country and y’all want to clutch your pearls at this? Lord save us all if this all you care about. 

This. I am dumbfounded here, honestly. We're really arguing over a drum corps show promoting drinking? Anyone who has lived has witnessed underage drinking. It happens. It's always going to happen. A drum corps show is not going to influence someone to drink or not to drink. This whole thread, quite frankly, has gotten silly.

Either one is going to develop a problem with alcohol or they are not. It's all down to personal responsiblity. Several of my friends have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol yet I rarely drink. I can be around them and not drink (or have one drink). I can have a good time with them (up to a certain point) while they are drinking and I am not drinking. Personal choice. Personal responsibility.

My friends in high school drank underage. I did not. 

Several members of the Scouts, while I marched, drank underage. I did not.

I didn't start drinking until 20. I was underage. 

Personal choice. Personal responsiblity. 

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 3