The absinthe ritual

1 minute ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Let us not forget the years and years of promotion of murder by Phantom Regiment. 

I have said for years that A Clockwork Orange in theory has Phantom written all over it.  But there is no way that we will ever see it because the violence is over the top.  So, there are guardrails out there. 

6 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Let us not forget the years and years of promotion of murder by Phantom Regiment. 

Providing the opportunity for informed consent could've mitigated this, which I've argued for in this forum before.

I was the singular guard member that was "strangled" in a show, after having survived multiple latent vulnerabilities in real life. While you may be able to keep an arm's distance from these scenarios, I've lived them. That lived experience and subsequent trials caused by them feed my argument.

I'm not going to play further whataboutism here. It's a bad faith argument that wears down the target. I'll remind you I'm juggling serious news about a predator being allowed back into Vanguardland recently. I won't continue with this here too.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Providing the opportunity for informed consent could've mitigated this, which I've argued for in this forum before.

I was the singular guard member that was "strangled" in a show, after having survived multiple latent vulnerabilities in real life. While you may be able to keep an arm's distance from these scenarios, I've lived them. That lived experience and subsequent trials caused by them feed my argument.

I'm not going to play further whataboutism here. It's a bad faith argument that wears down the target. I'll remind you I'm juggling serious news about a predator being allowed back into Vanguardland recently. I won't continue with this here too.

Then file a complaint with DCI about Blue Stars show. Or boycott the show. Or file a complaint with Blue Stars if you’re that upset about it. 

But again, logic, common sense, says there is zero intention of the Blue Stars organization to promote and glorify drinking. If parents didn’t want their kids to participate in this show, they could’ve pulled their kids. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Then file a complaint with DCI about Blue Stars show. Or boycott the show. Or file a complaint with Blue Stars if you’re that upset about it. 

But again, logic, common sense, says there is zero intention of the Blue Stars organization to promote and glorify drinking. If parents didn’t want their kids to participate in this show, they could’ve pulled their kids. 

I'm too busy supporting victim- survivors of much more serious violations at my own house.

I've contacted the US Center for SafeSport, DCI, VMAPA, The Army of Survivors, and the Courage First Athletes Helpline about those concerns already. All too no avail. I have no reason to believe any of them have the capacity or jurisdiction to actually support victim-survivors adequately in these situations or others. So no thanks.

I can only do so much and a show about absinthe doesn't meet my benchmark for taking action. Rape, medical neglect, HIPAA violations do though, and I've acted accordingly already regarding those scenarios.

Sorry you have to suffer through my musings on the intersection of substance use and drum corps on a public forum based on my lived experiences though. You could just block me instead of antagonizing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm too busy supporting victim- survivors of much more serious violations at my own house.

I've contacted the US Center for SafeSport, DCI, VMAPA, The Army of Survivors, and the Courage First Athletes Helpline about those concerns already. All too no avail. I have no reason to believe any of them have the capacity or jurisdiction to actually support victim-survivors adequately in these situations or others. So no thanks.

I can only do so much and a show about absinthe doesn't meet my benchmark for taking action. Rape, medical neglect, HIPAA violations do though, and I've acted accordingly already regarding those scenarios.

Sorry you have to suffer through my musings on the intersection of substance use and drum corps on a public forum based on my lived experiences though. You could just block me instead of antagonizing. 

I’m not trying to antagonize you. But like you said, a show about a drink doesn't meet your benchmark for action. Because it shouldn’t, there’s no foul play here. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I’m not trying to antagonize you. But like you said, a show about a drink doesn't meet your benchmark for action. Because it shouldn’t, there’s no foul play here. 

Never called it foul play. Y'all projected that onto my and others' argument.

Reckless and irresponsible, which is what I called it, is different. And reflects most of the decision making about safeguarding in this activity that leads to negative outcomes for young people... and it's more easily dismissed as, well, it wasn't on purpose. Which is why nothing seems to improve fast enough to prevent negative outcomes.

I'll see myself out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Y'all projected that onto my and others' argument.

You project onto others at even the slightest hint of a minor disagreement, whether actual or not. I have firsthand experience...

Yours is an important voice. I hope you don't burn any supportive bridges needlessly. 

• Like 5