The absinthe ritual

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

We are not having a discussion about what is happening in the country.  That would not be a suitable topic in the Drum Corps Planet World Class Forums.  There is Twitter if a person thinks the world cares about his or her opinion on non-drum corps related issues..

We are having a discussion about the theme of one drum corps in 2023.  So far a few individuals but not all have expressed support for an alcohol themed show. 

There is also push back by those who don't think "anything goes" when it comes to subject matter for a drum corps show.  I offered an opinion that there are boundaries for thematic based show and this one has been crossed. 

No one is going to change their mind because of what I think on this and I won't waste my time arguing with those who already have their mind made up.  I just want to let the other posters who have a similar viewpoint to mine know that you are not alone.

I'll leave it at that.

Good for you 

The Marching Roundtable interview with Steven Estudillo got me thinking more about student buy-in. He was discussing it in the context of "do you feel safe using this prop?" and "do you think what we're asking you to do with it will look dorky?"

But I think it extends farther than just safety but also to themes in a show. "Do you feel comfortable with the show topic or what we're depicting with this choreography?" Naturally, accounting for the opinions of every individual would be overwhelming, but for some thematic choices.

All that said, I'd be way more worried about sliding down a ramp and catching a rifle with my face than I would the depiction of green colored hallucinations. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

The Marching Roundtable interview with Steven Estudillo got me thinking more about student buy-in. He was discussing it in the context of "do you feel safe using this prop?" and "do you think what we're asking you to do with it will look dorky?"

But I think it extends farther than just safety but also to themes in a show. "Do you feel comfortable with the show topic or what we're depicting with this choreography?" Naturally, accounting for the opinions of every individual would be overwhelming, but for some thematic choices.

All that said, I'd be way more worried about sliding down a ramp and catching a rifle with my face than I would the depiction of green colored hallucinations. 

And in all honesty, maybe they did. We don’t know. 

46 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Back in 2014 there was someone getting their drawers in a bundle over BS using John Adams’ Nixon in China because it glorified communism.

Nah, that would have been either the 1987 Russian Christmas Music show (but not really), or the one people really did get upset about for being a communist show, Miss Saigon.  Neither glorified communism IMO.

Both by the Santa Clara Vanguard, both fantastic shows.

Edited by wvu80

55 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Back in 2014 there was someone getting their drawers in a bundle over BS using John Adams’ Nixon in China because it glorified communism. Imagine that, a wholesome show about fulfilling the American dream of purchasing your first home promoting communism! 

That is just crazy. It's just drum corps with pretentious show titles and themes. I don't take it too seriously, I laugh at it. I enjoy and love almost all the shows, but I am laughing at all the show names and show themes. I just don't take it seriously.

I remember in '97 on rec.arts.marching.drumcorps people were suggesting that Madison shouldn't have the drunken sailor section since it was a youth activity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadScout80 said:

I remember in '97 on rec.arts.marching.drumcorps people were suggesting that Madison shouldn't have the drunken sailor section since it was a youth activity.

I remember someone being upset that the Cadets did a Xmas show in 2012. 

I knew a high school band mom that said she would never let her kids march with the Academy because they did a Looney Tunes themed show, and those cartoons depicted violence, and her kids weren't allowed to watch them. 

5 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Me too. I’m glad I caught this discussion thread before I saw Blue Stars in Mason. It helped me better understand what the heck they were doing on the field. 

Overall, I’m okay with the show concept. If we ban subject matter anyone finds offensive, all shows would be Mary had a little lamb. Even then, someone would be bothered by Mary and her lamb. That said, I don’t think I would have picked this concept if I were program director. 

Yeah same here. Honestly I was hoping for more from a show about adult beverages