July 4th Parades

While a lot of us are relaxing and watching Joey Chestnut devour a mountain of hot dogs; a lot of corps will be out and about participating in multiple parades. It's a big money maker for them. Here's wishing all participants and spectators a lot fun and safety, today. :thumbup:
Hopefully there won't be another incident like last year. 😔

• Like 2

On a humorous note - a July 4 parade story:

1983. We were in a Chicago suburb; there had been a DCM show previous evening.   Saginaires had won; they had over 100 members while the rest of us small Corps had 50 or less.  So, everyone is in assembly area; drum instructors of the small Corps get together all the small drum lines for a group warm-up.  They go set up on opposite side of Saginaires truck, and start with 8s (back then everyone knew 8s) with 9 snares, 8 tenors, 16 bass, keyboards & cymbals.  Saginaires instructors raced around the truck fearing that Cavaliers, Phantom, or one of the other big Corps had shown up.  Good times. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Haha 2

I’m going to the Wakefield, MA parade. It used to be a drum corps lover’s dream. A few well known drum corps personalities call it home and one has been on the parade committee so we used to always have a great roster. That changed when the Bristol, RI show was canceled and the early New England shows were before July 4th. Cadets were in the Bristol parade this morning and I’m hoping they’ll venture to Wakefield like they usually do. Same with Spartans. Connecticut Hurricanes are frequent Wakefield participants and on occasion we see Les Stentors. My thought is Boston Crusaders has already left for Cincinnati. Who else we’ll see is anyone’s guess.

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’m going to the Wakefield, MA parade. It used to be a drum corps lover’s dream. A few well known drum corps personalities call it home and one has been on the parade committee so we used to always have a great roster. That changed when the Bristol, RI show was canceled and the early New England shows were before July 4th. Cadets were in the Bristol parade this morning and I’m hoping they’ll venture to Wakefield like they usually do. Same with Spartans. Connecticut Hurricanes are frequent Wakefield participants and on occasion we see Les Stentors. My thought is Boston Crusaders has already left for Cincinnati. Who else we’ll see is anyone’s guess.

You would be correct. They left immediately after the show in Quincy.

I used to love going to the Wakefield Parade. Enjoy!!

7 hours ago, corps8294 said:

While a lot of us are relaxing and watching Joey Chestnut devour a mountain of hot dogs; a lot of corps will be out and about participating in multiple parades. It's a big money maker for them. Here's wishing all participants and spectators a lot fun and safety, today. :thumbup:
Hopefully there won't be another incident like last year. 😔

A lot of corps will be participating in parades?  Really?  I have no idea but my guess is no world class corps participating in parades anymore. That seems to be a relic of a bygone era. Nowadays We even have top three corps who haven’t participated in a competition yet by 4th of July

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

A lot of corps will be participating in parades?  Really?  I have no idea but my guess is no world class corps participating in parades anymore. That seems to be a relic of a bygone era. Nowadays We even have top three corps who haven’t participated in a competition yet by 4th of July

Colts, Cavies, Blue Stars, Music City, and Madison are all participaing in parades today. 

3 minutes ago, mrk said:

Colts, Cavies, Blue Stars, Music City, and Madison are all participaing in parades today. 

Blue Stars were in three parades today. 

27 minutes ago, mrk said:

Pacific Crest also!  A lot of it also has to do with giving back to the community that has supported them in training camp.  Very easy for cities to turn into jerks against the corps.  But if the corp really embodies and supports the city then they get that back.

Edited by spacewill
  • Like 1