Everything's Coming Up Rose Bowl (July 8, 2023)

35 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Met up with my son after the show. He said the field was slippery. I counted five PC kids slip and fall, and one tuba from BD slipped and fell. 

Hope everyone is ok. 

I don't believe anyone in PC was hurt.  It makes sense as the very opening dance move resulted in our Mellophone essentially falling on his butt and almost taking out the colorguard dancer.  They recovered well but was scary.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, spacewill said:

I don't believe anyone in PC was hurt.  It makes sense as the very opening dance move resulted in our Mellophone essentially falling on his butt and almost taking out the colorguard dancer.  They recovered well but was scary.

Yea I saw that. Phenomenal recovery!!!

Obviously we couldn't hear it up in the stands, but my son said all the Mandarins kids were yelling "Don't slip!" during their performance. 

The BD tuba player who slipped is a freaking boss. If that contra would have fell on me, I would have been screaming bloody murder lol. That kid jumped up and didn't miss a step as if it was part of the show. 

• Like 4

Just now, Chief Guns said:

Yea I saw that. Phenomenal recovery!!!

Obviously we couldn't hear it up in the stands, but my son said all the Mandarins kids were yelling "Don't slip!" during their performance. 

The BD tuba player who slipped is a freaking boss. If that contra would have fell on me, I would have been screaming bloody murder lol. That kid jumped up and didn't miss a step as if it was part of the show. 

All the kids do things that my old body says Nope too now!!!  Great night of performances.  Looking forward to the next few weeks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spacewill said:

All the kids do things that my old body says Nope too now!!!  Great night of performances.  Looking forward to the next few weeks!

Great night all around. PC is a dark horse. Everyone in the 12-15 spots better be careful. 

Congrats to PC on a nice Jump to a 71.100. I realize, i am adressessing a Cal Corps Loving Crowd at the moment on DCP. But PLEASE, show some Respect and not ignore the other "Dark Horse" starting out at a good trot from Arizona.

THE ACADEMY also scored a 71.100 and made an impressive Rose Bowl Performance, 4.1 jump in score, in its only second previous performance in San Bernardino.  Perhaps "Respect," may be bit much to ask from DCP folks this early in the 2023 Season? I can acknowledge, from my many years on DCP, and reading through countless threads, where contributors maintain "Blinders on," either ignoring or worse penning fault towards Corps outside their "Elite" Chosent.

But I think it fair, to ask more DCP folks to consider voicing some well earned credit due in the direction of THE ACADEMY and the many "Other" World Class Status Corps as Well. Just Saying, from my Boston Rocker. LOL

All the Best and Happy Trails to All Corps making their way through their 2023 Competitive schedules. Godspeed and ENJOY!

"DrumCorpsRelic" Simplex Minutemen, Gardner, MA. Marching Member 1965-72. Arizona Sun, Board Member 1991-93, THE ACADEMY 2004-15 Volunteer/Touring and a Forever Fan.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

People will probably find this annoying, but I'm going to post it every single show leading up to the first meet-up between all the top corps: BD is going undefeated this season, and it will not be close. 

I can totally see it.. I agreed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

People will probably find this annoying, but I'm going to post it every single show leading up to the first meet-up between all the top corps: BD is going undefeated this season, and it will not be close. 

I find that quite comforting. 

• Like 3

Blue Devils seemed to have a great run last night and could have an undefeated season as many have said, and betting against Blue Devils is not wise, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. Most years BD had SCV as a competitor. With no disrespect to Mandarins, SCV was a more formidable competitor and based on the closeness of the two corps’ scores, we could determine how good BD was any given year and whether a show was one of “those shows.” That being said, without SCV, there’s no need for judges to score the top corps higher, so BD’s scores this year may be more accurate and not a case of “West Coast inflation.” 

2. I think people underestimated Crown, especially those who predicted a 5th place spot for them, BAC will always have cranks no matter how good they are, and Bloo can have rough spots early on. I’ll wait till Broken Arrow till I predict an undefeated season for BD. Who am I kidding? There are some BD shows I’ve loved, most recently 2014, 2015, 2017, and even though it was an SCV year, 2018, but I still believe 27th should have won in 1980, and I want to see BAC win this year, so I’ll admit my bias and won’t predict an undefeated season till it happens and I’m at the airport heading home on August 13th where I’ll no doubt run into Blue Devils marching members and congratulate them on the season.🙂

Edited by Tim K

31 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Blue Devils seemed to have a great run last night and could have an undefeated season as many have said, and betting against Blue Devils is not wise, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. Most years BD had SCV as a competitor. With no disrespect to Mandarins, SCV was a more formidable competitor and based on the closeness of the two corps’ scores, we could determine how good BD was any given year and whether a show was one of “those shows.” That being said, without SCV, there’s no need for judges to score the top corps higher, so BD’s scores this year may be more accurate and not a case of “West Coast inflation.” 

2. I think people underestimated Crown, especially those who predicted a 5th place spot for them, BAC will always have cranks no matter how good they are, and Bloo can have rough spots early on. I’ll wait till Broken Arrow till I predict an undefeated season for BD. Who am I kidding? There are some BD shows I’ve loved, most recently 2014, 2015, 2017, and even though it was an SCV year, 2018, but I still believe 27th should have won in 1980, and I want to see BAC win this year, so I’ll admit my bias and won’t predict an undefeated season till it happens and I’m at the airport heading home on August 13th where I’ll no doubt run into Blue Devils marching members and congratulate them on the season.🙂

I appreciate your post but man going way back to 1980? What happened in 1980 or last year or when SCV was active will have nothing to do with 2023. 

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I totally agree!

...that I will find it annoying...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2