DCI Austin - July 20

9 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

When the Cadets hornline actually plays, they sound tremendous and the music is fantastic. When they aren’t playing, which seems like half the show, I’m bored out of my skull waiting for them to come back in. Doesn’t exactly make for an enjoyable drum corps show as a whole. How did the designers drop the ball so bad on this one?

I have heard Cadets are mic-ing the strong brass players and mixing it into the sound. I also heard that most corps do this. I am not anti-electronics, but this isn't right. Using area mic's at the front of the field is admitting your brass line is weak. Mic-ing only the strong brass players is admitting your brass line is weak. Why are judges rewarding this?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, DAvery said:

I have heard Cadets are mic-ing the strong brass players and mixing it into the sound. I also heard that most corps do this. I am not anti-electronics, but this isn't right. Using area mic's at the front of the field is admitting your brass line is weak. Mic-ing only the strong brass players is admitting your brass line is weak. Why are judges rewarding this?

This is NOT what is happening despite any rumors you hear. DCI only allows the solos to be amplified, then those mics have to be turned off during ensemble passages. When I listen to the Cadets balances during ensemble brass passages I can clearly hear a good blend of all players. And no, it is not a weak brass line with only a few good players. I think for a while some corps were experimenting with this (not Cadets) but it is no longer allowed. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DAvery said:

Hilarious post.  

10 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

When the Cadets hornline actually plays, they sound tremendous and the music is fantastic. When they aren’t playing, which seems like half the show, I’m bored out of my skull waiting for them to come back in. Doesn’t exactly make for an enjoyable drum corps show as a whole. How did the designers drop the ball so bad on this one?

I get where you're coming from - but as a drummer, Cadets drumline is friggin' awesome, and I'm okay with it.  

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

This is NOT what is happening despite any rumors you hear. DCI only allows the solos to be amplified, then those mics have to be turned off during ensemble passages. When I listen to the Cadets balances during ensemble brass passages I can clearly hear a good blend of all players. And no, it is not a weak brass line with only a few good players. I think for a while some corps were experimenting with this (not Cadets) but it is no longer allowed. 

Was there a rule that passed and is now in effect to disallow this? I believe Santa Clara mic'd individuals during ensemble passages in 2017.

9 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Was there a rule that passed and is now in effect to disallow this? I believe Santa Clara mic'd individuals during ensemble passages in 2017.

Yes. I remember SCV doing this. But only solos are allowed now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Yes. I remember SCV doing this. But only solos are allowed now. 

Man I remember how annoyed I was in 2017 when I realized that was what SCV was doing that year. It really ruins the spirit of drum corps. Glad that the rule was changed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Where is the rule that forbids this?  The following was a rule proposal from this past year that was defeated. 

5. | Brass Amplification Parameters

Proposed by: Jason Robb, Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts), Jim Coates, Michael Klesch (Carolina Crown), Monte Mast, David Starnes (The Cavaliers)

Summary: This proposal stipulates that short-range personal microphones cannot be used for ensemble reinforcement of the horn line. Such microphones would only be used to amplify musical content that is "soloistic or soli-istic" in nature. This proposal would not place limits on the number of performers that may perform such content at one time or through the duration of that ensemble’s performance. Noted is that amplified solo content should not reinforce non-amplified ensemble content.

On the record: “This honest approach protects the level playing field that DCI has historically fostered and promoted, and it ensures that students leave our corps as musically-educated people who are able to rely on their own abilities to strive and accomplish and who value the act of doing so, understanding the value of true musical achievement modeled through the approach of those that instruct them and DCI as an organization.”

Edited by DAvery
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAvery said:

Where is the rule that forbids this?  The following was a rule proposal from this past year that was defeated. 

I remember speaking with someone about this very thing and that was my take. I suppose I could be wrong. I don't think I have heard anyone doing this sort of thing this summer. I appreciate you posting that. Interesting to see the names on that proposal. To me it would be ridiculous to allow ensemble amplification with such large horn lines now. 

Perhaps they mean small ensembles or solos. Because everyone is amping the solos, and it did just come across my mind that The Cadets do use a small trumpet ensemble at the end of their show that gets some amplification when they do the double tonguing feature.  So perhaps you are correct. 

Edited by jwillis35

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Man I remember how annoyed I was in 2017 when I realized that was what SCV was doing that year. It really ruins the spirit of drum corps. Glad that the rule was changed 

So I may be wrong about this. As I mentioned in the post above The Cadets do mic a small trumpet ensemble at the end of their show when they do the double tongue flurry in the closer. So perhaps I am not clear on what is allowed. Maybe just solos and small soli ensembles. 

When this was brought up SCV 2017 was the first thing that came to my mind because I absolutely hated it. It made their brass line sound so distorted and fake. 

• Like 1