Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

13 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

So only things that have “joy” should win? 

Repeating what I said originally (with a little emphasis for those who might need it):

I was not a fan of Babylon and think it was a shame that it won, which it different from whether it should have won. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Repeating what I said originally (with a little emphasis for those who might need it):

I was not a fan of Babylon and think it was a shame that it won, which it different from whether it should have won. 

Stating it's a shame it won is you stating it should not have won. 

• Like 2

Well ... I didn't know I my opinions carried so much weight. 

Allow me one more statement: Even though I think it was a shame that SCV took first with a joyless Babylon show, I don't think DCI should ask for the medals back.

What do you think of that? Am I still saying SCV shouldn't have won?

Edited by Sh0uldN0t

3 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Well ... I didn't know I my opinions carried so much weight. 

Allow me one more statement: Even though I think it was a shame that SCV took first with a joyless Babylon show, I don't think DCI should ask for the medals back.

What do you think of that? Am I still saying SCV shouldn't have won?

Yes, because no reasonable person would ever state DCI should take the medals back form a corps that legitimately won. So your continued attempt to explain your way out of it isn't working. You feel Babylon should not have won because you see it as "joyless". Therefore you put a caveat on only shows that have "joy" should win. So screw the performers, your show wasn't joyful. You are trying to dictate what the art should or shouldn't be. Thank goodness you aren't a GE judge, huh?

And to add to this, there is joy in the Babylon show. If you understood the premise of the show and the storyline you would see that. But clearly there is something deeper you're not admitting to. Either your upset your corps didn't win or you are just too closed minded that if you hear even one dissonant chord in music it's suddenly "joyless". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, valjean said:

"a lot of the criticisms are actually valid! I just happen to disagree with all of them!"

Say what you will, but I love these bloodbath style threads. Salud! 👏

This place gets more and more like The Waltons every day, doesn't it? 

G'nite John Boy

G'nite Grandpa 

Ma? Grandpa's not breathing. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

But clearly there is something deeper you're not admitting to. Either your upset your corps didn't win or you are just too closed minded that if you hear even one dissonant chord in music it's suddenly "joyless". 

They're still finding their way with only 61 posts, even though they've been on DCP since early in 2020.

Edited by TOC

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Yes, because no reasonable person would ever state DCI should take the medals back form a corps that legitimately won. So your continued attempt to explain your way out of it isn't working. You feel Babylon should not have won because you see it as "joyless". Therefore you put a caveat on only shows that have "joy" should win. So screw the performers, your show wasn't joyful. You are trying to dictate what the art should or shouldn't be. Thank goodness you aren't a GE judge, huh?

And to add to this, there is joy in the Babylon show. If you understood the premise of the show and the storyline you would see that. But clearly there is something deeper you're not admitting to. Either your upset your corps didn't win or you are just too closed minded that if you hear even one dissonant chord in music it's suddenly "joyless". 

I'm confused anyone would not have found Babylon joyful. The brass was tasty af, percussion was typical SCV brilliance, and SCV won for the first time in almost 20 years. Based on the crowds in Indy, 99% disagree with his/her take.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm confused anyone would not have found Babylon joyful. The brass was tasty af, percussion was typical SCV brilliance, and SCV won for the first time in almost 20 years. Based on the crowds in Indy, 99% disagree with his/her take.

I agree. But this is always the thing with DCI. You will always have those folks (and sometimes they are a small minority) who just don't like something, didn't think it deserved to win, find it joyless, or just don't understand the scoring. Why people feel a need to constantly keep stating the same thing over and over again is usually what causes these arguments to get out of hand. Just say what you think and then leave it alone. Try to state it professionally, but then leave it alone.

People will respond and that's cool. You don't have to respond back.  You've already made your point.  Just let it stand on its own. If you feel you need to defend yourself do so once and keep it focussed on the issue and not anything personal. There are people who like to make shocking comments (or even hateful comments) just to stir the pot and cause argument. I really don't think we get that type on DCP (maybe a little). For the most we just continue to argue and parse words and on and on until the fights break out. 

Personally I have always found the Blue Devils to be one of the most fascinating organizations out there. I truly enjoy their show this year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It’s just their opinion man, let it go. 

I personally enjoyed SCV 2018 a lot, but it wasn’t exactly a cheerful/triumphant show. It was dark and that was the intention. Without the incredible performers carrying that show, it probably wouldn’t have been the crowd favorite it was. 

Not sure I’d go as far to use the word joyless, but I don’t think it’s THAT inaccurate of a descriptor for a show that was quite literally about a utopian society that succumbed to greed and power, causing a loss of speech and forced everyone to find different ways to communicate. The tonality of the horns was aggressive and the drumline was way less musical than Rennick’s usual books. And yes, it was fairly dissonant for the first half of the show. 

I liken it to BD 2012. An aggressive show with a couple moments of softness and melody

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1