NightBEAT 34 - July 30th, 2023

After watching a few shows including the top 4, no wonder why 2-4 have gotten so flipped around. In addition to execution, it kind of comes down to what the judge’s cup of tea is. Universally, there is absolutely no doubt at #1. 

if you want to beat #1, you got to be #1. 
Competitive designers need to start thinking more like BD and stop being so cute if they expect to ever consistently beat them. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

After watching a few shows including the top 4, no wonder why 2-4 have gotten so flipped around. In addition to execution, it kind of comes down to what the judge’s cup of tea is. Universally, there is absolutely no doubt at #1. 

if you want to beat #1, you got to be #1. 
Competitive detainers need to start thinking more like BD and stop being so cute if they expect to ever consistently beat them. 

What ever do you mean by "cute"?  

21 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Cube trying to melt is the comedy needed for how much had to be thought of on the spot to fix everything 😅 to not even notice that something happened until halfway through and didn't mess up the show is impressive 👏👏

To the members that realized the issue and immediately pushed it to the back,  semi-off the field,  was impressive as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Cube trying to melt is the comedy needed for how much had to be thought of on the spot to fix everything 😅 to not even notice that something happened until halfway through and didn't mess up the show is impressive 👏👏

I just noticed the 5th cube once it was sitting on back sidelines. First thought was someone's absinthe is going to be really strong.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Here’s my hot take:

I think Crowns drill and staging holds them back in GE. This isn’t Sacktig’s best work and often time it feels weird. 

Yeah because it certainly isn’t the music. It just doesn’t feel purposeful to me yeah. He does such a great job for vandegrift idk why that can’t translate here

12 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

What ever do you mean by "cute"?  

I'm thinking "cute" =

- Keytars and whimsical themes.

- Giant colorful tarps with heads popping out of them.

- Drunk pirate music.

Btw, I don't agree with this point of view, but just sharing what I think poster meant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm thinking "cute" =

- Drunk pirate music.

Btw, I don't agree with this point of view, but just sharing what I think poster meant.

I am sure you're right ... but that just doesn't make any sense.  

He should just say, BD is gonna win GE no matter what show they put on the field.  And for the record, I think they are earning it this year.

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm thinking "cute" =

- Drunk pirate music.

Typically cute being used in that context means that designers are overthinking and overdesigning instead of being straightforward. My guess is the poster thinks that these corps are not really designing these shows in the same organic way that BD does and instead inserting gimmicks in the hopes that it will impress the judges enough to beat BD

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Yeah because it certainly isn’t the music. It just doesn’t feel purposeful to me yeah. He does such a great job for vandegrift idk why that can’t translate here

Not only that, but prior years for Crown has been some of the masterful drill design. I'm just not sure why this feels really bland in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Not only that, but prior years for Crown has been some of the masterful drill design. I'm just not sure why this feels really bland in my opinion. 

I've thought all season that the drill is too controlled and measured, while the music can be very bombastic and menacing at times. If they "broke it" in places during the really intense parts, by just having some of the horn players fall out of the form, doing body work, as it moves, then reconnect with as it keeps moving, it would add a pulsating energy that might help. The drill doesn't have to be re-charted, just add some life to it. It moves very carefully from Point A to Point B a lot, which can be a bit of a disservice to the more dynamic parts of the music.