NightBEAT 34 - July 30th, 2023

14 hours ago, corps8294 said:

If the Bluecoats hope to be contenders, again; it's time to let the hippie themes go and move on to something different.  

Other than the flowered costumes, what about the show reminds you of the 60’s? I feel the flowers are more of a reference to the “garden”. Otherwise, I see nothing overtly “hippie” or “60’s” about the show. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You shouda been a math major...

I have a mortgage, 2 kids & an ex-wife to pay for. Ain't no way in the world I can support them with my mathing non-skills!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Typically cute being used in that context means that designers are overthinking and overdesigning instead of being straightforward. My guess is the poster thinks that these corps are not really designing these shows in the same organic way that BD does and instead inserting gimmicks in the hopes that it will impress the judges enough to beat BD

If so, that's rich considering the over design of his corps in several years.

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

After watching a few shows including the top 4, no wonder why 2-4 have gotten so flipped around. In addition to execution, it kind of comes down to what the judge’s cup of tea is. Universally, there is absolutely no doubt at #1. 

if you want to beat #1, you got to be #1. 
Competitive designers need to start thinking more like BD and stop being so cute if they expect to ever consistently beat them. 

In so many ways, they already are. Look at the Bluecoats. They are literally doing an reenactment of a poem. Then look at the amount of body movement and how everyone simply restages these days and you see how so many corps are moving to some of the tropes of BD. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rylan said:

At first this part annoyed me too until I looked into it some more. That was the speech Charles de Gaulle gave when surrendering the French army during WWII. This part of the show is supposed to be chaotic with sounds of sirens, bombs, and with the battery playing sounds of artillery. This was a moment in Matisse’s life where he had a lot of internal conflict, not only with France’s surrender, as he was very patriotic, but also his decreasing ability to create art the way he always had due to his illness. This segues into the ballad “Both Sides Now” which is staged so that there are two sides to his life at this point - his old life of being a famous painter in peaceful France versus his new life of being a bed-ridden artist in wartime France. 

With all those things considered, I think BD does an absolutely beautiful job of representing this through both of those movements. After doing the research, the Charles de Gaulle speech/battery feature has now become one of my favorite parts of the show! 

Sorry, i don't feel like I need to do research to enjoy a show or movements in a show.   And most fans only seeing one show during the year, would not care to dig deep into the meaning.   This goes for any and all corps.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

Yeah because it certainly isn’t the music. It just doesn’t feel purposeful to me yeah. He does such a great job for vandegrift idk why that can’t translate here

So it IS Sacktig? That’s a big surprise considering the result

56 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

In so many ways, they already are. Look at the Bluecoats. They are literally doing an reenactment of a poem. Then look at the amount of body movement and how everyone simply restages these days and you see how so many corps are moving to some of the tropes of BD. 

That's the problem. If you don't act like BD, you have no chance to win....

....and you have no chance to win, because BD has been doing it longer than everyone else, so it's not really a fruitful task and boring. My issue is that you should be able to design any way you want, and if it's clean, it should compete.

Here we have a situation where almost everyone I read from says "BD can't be beaten because they have the most experienced staff", and stuff like this. Well, congrats, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a group of people think something is the best, then it is the best. It's all subjective, but now the activity gets pulled in the direction of what wins...

People complain about "old-fashioned" shows, which get knocked because they're not modern. We see it this year, and I've been guilty of it in the past too.

Everyone does the BD shimmy. Even the old-fashioned show this year...

....and people don't see this piece of psychology happening right in front of them...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1