Hotlanta On My Mind - July 29, 2023

37 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Nothing's perfect.  If you put all the corps on for 4-6 hours that ends up not being a pleasant experience for those who try to sit in bleacher seats the whole time.

You should have been there back in the says when DCI East prelims started at 8am on a Saturday morning.  The groupings scores from at least 30 corps were posted on a chalk board near the right endzone and updated every 3 or 4 corps.  By the time they finished at 3 or 4 pm you're tired, hungry, smelly and little tire of hearing drum corps shows.  And not that it matters but I also got a splinter in the butt one year from the wooden bleachers!

Then the top 12 (I think it was 12, maybe 8  would play in finals and get done really late, can't remember the exact time.  It was too much.

Give me a two day split any day.

I remember DCI in 1970s when preliminaries were over 2 days because there were so many Corps entered.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Nothing's perfect.  If you put all the corps on for 4-6 hours that ends up not being a pleasant experience for those who try to sit in bleacher seats the whole time.

You should have been there back in the says when DCI East prelims started at 8am on a Saturday morning.  The groupings scores from at least 30 corps were posted on a chalk board near the right endzone and updated every 3 or 4 corps.  By the time they finished at 3 or 4 pm you're tired, hungry, smelly and little tire of hearing drum corps shows.  And not that it matters but I also got a splinter in the butt one year from the wooden bleachers!

Then the top 12 (I think it was 12, maybe 8  would play in finals and get done really late, can't remember the exact time.  It was too much.

Give me a two day split any day.

Allentown used to be single day event with daytime and nighttime show with all corps attending. I can remember  it being a long day as a member but one of the most memorable  my rookie year. Was pretty awesome doing both shows

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember DCI in 1970s when preliminaries were over 2 days because there were so many Corps entered.  

Even in the 80s, it was 4 days... Prelims, Quarters, Semis and Finals, and World Prelims (back then it was called Open) didn't include the previous year's top 12, and Semis was top 25. The smaller corps were 2 divisions and had 40 groups too. Sad how many corps have folded since those days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Allentown used to be single day event with daytime and nighttime show with all corps attending. I can remember  it being a long day as a member but one of the most memorable  my rookie year. Was pretty awesome doing both shows

I remember those days. They were fun for those of us who were younger but for a lot of folks the day was too long. 

For me I had no issue when they changed to a 2 day event. From a money standpoint it makes more sense. DCI brings in more ticket revenue, corps can sell their souvies over 2 days (even if they performed Friday their souvies tent will stay), Allentown does better when some folks stay longer, some get a hotel, and the fans that stay for both days are spending more $$$ locally. 

It's a much more relaxed 2-day event for the fans. The stadium itself is a little old and I am not sure if they have made changes or updates. My last DCI East was 2005 I think. 

5 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Even in the 80s, it was 4 days... Prelims, Quarters, Semis and Finals, and World Prelims (back then it was called Open) didn't include the previous year's top 12, and Semis was top 25. The smaller corps were 2 divisions and had 40 groups too. Sad how many corps have folded since those days.

It is sad but it's a different era. Most of the corps that folded were simply not able to adapt to the costs of the 80s and new rules and regulations for insurance, drivers, good management and fund raising. Many of those orgs were poorly run or run by folks who were unable to set them up for the future. 

• Like 1

I just had the power blink here in DC.  Big ole storm coming through. 

It better not knock me off during performances!

• Sad 1

Oh we get to see the man behind the voice today on Flo. Hah!