Hotlanta On My Mind - July 29, 2023

4 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Thank you. Always nice to start a show thread with an easy-to-read show lineup!

A rarity this season lol

3 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Atlanta is my favorite regional. Corps have cleaned so well by this show. Still intrigue for what still may come with final tweaks. No knock on next week’s Allentown, but this show doesn’t split into 2 days. 

Some things I’m looking forward to see - in no particular order:

Some of the early performances of MCDC, Spirit, Madison, BK. Who’s trending upward. These corps don’t get as much attention so this is their time to shine in a big show.

Then Troopers. Still surprised they haven’t scored higher. Maybe better execution will get them there.

Too bad Colts aren’t here today. And Mandarines. This is the year they should be here!

Cavies percussion. Can they continue their DOMINANCE and take top drums!  I’m hoping for it quite honestly!

Any new wrinkles held back to toss in tonight? In 2015, Crown surprised everyone with the gold-colored flyover. The place went nuts.

Can BAC continue to close the gap?

Can Crown overcome an early performance slot?

Will judges finally give Phantom Regiment the love they truly deserve? Score what they see, not perceive  

And BD. Will anyone challenge them and create doubt about their inevitable undefeated season?

Will all corps be able to do a field show with all (most) performers. No standstills and scratches!

GOOD HEALTH, ALL!

That, and this stadium is frankly just a significantly better drum corps venue than the rest of the regionals from an acoustic standpoint in my opinion. No echoe-y dome, no high school stadium style uncomfortable bleachers, fairly steep stands, tons of seats under a canopy that just traps the sound and amplifies. Only thing that's kinda wonky is the seats being at an angle to the front sideline but didn't seem to affect anything. Last year, the show was dangerously close to being cancelled due to a crazy storm rolling in but thankfully the storm did not hit until right after the show finished. 

Hope everyone stays cool and healthy today! 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That, and this stadium is frankly just a significantly better drum corps venue than the rest of the regionals from an acoustic standpoint in my opinion. No echoe-y dome, no high school stadium style uncomfortable bleachers, fairly steep stands, tons of seats under a canopy that just traps the sound and amplifies. Only thing that's kinda wonky is the seats being at an angle to the front sideline but didn't seem to affect anything. Last year, the show was dangerously close to being cancelled due to a crazy storm rolling in but thankfully the storm did not hit until right after the show finished. 

Ill take echoey dome with all corps and a guaranteed show over hot and possibly rain cancellation with half the corps. I also hate Allentown's split day so much because you can't convince me day 2 groups don't have an advantage to day 1 groups. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Ill take echoey dome with all corps and a guaranteed show over hot and possibly rain cancellation with half the corps. I also hate Allentown's split day so much because you can't convince me day 2 groups don't have an advantage to day 1 groups. 

Acoustically, the Mercedes Benz stadium was wonderful for drum corps. They sounded amazing in there. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

.., but Troopers have closed their rehearsals to the public

for the remainder of the touring part of the season in hopes to avoid the stomach bug 

I know of other corps who closed late season rehearsals to the public, no explanation given.  This disappointed fans who enjoy watching the corps practice.

It seems like a good move to close practice in hopes of keeping the members safe from illness.  It may be disappointing to their fans but it is entirely understandable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Idk I marched at the Atlanta BET big southern classic with no hashes. I can't remember anything from that. 

I went to the 2019 Southeastern Championship in the Mercedes Benz... I loved it and at the time said finals would sound way better there than Lucas Oil

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I went to the 2019 Southeastern Championship in the Mercedes Benz... I loved it and at the time said finals would sound way better there than Lucas Oil

It's a great venue just in general. Can't beat those concession prices

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I also hate Allentown's split day so much because you can't convince me day 2 groups don't have an advantage to day 1 groups. 

Nothing's perfect.  If you put all the corps on for 4-6 hours that ends up not being a pleasant experience for those who try to sit in bleacher seats the whole time.

You should have been there back in the says when DCI East prelims started at 8am on a Saturday morning.  The groupings scores from at least 30 corps were posted on a chalk board near the right endzone and updated every 3 or 4 corps.  By the time they finished at 3 or 4 pm you're tired, hungry, smelly and little tire of hearing drum corps shows.  And not that it matters but I also got a splinter in the butt one year from the wooden bleachers!

Then the top 12 (I think it was 12, maybe 8  would play in finals and get done really late, can't remember the exact time.  It was too much.

Give me a two day split any day.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Mentioned it in the Troopers thread, but Troopers have closed their rehearsals to the public for the remainder of the touring part of the season in hopes to avoid the stomach bug 

That settles that I am not driving 7hrs each way to Salem VA if I can’t watch rehearsal from stands.  

But I get it, and hope it staves off illness.