Allentown uh-oh

6 hours ago, ShortyRock said:

Might be slightly off topic, but its definitely in line with where the discussion is headed.  Let me preface it with I get that it has been in Allentown for a long time and that it was also the home of the Cadets for a time (who have since moved to Erie, PA).    With that said, a couple thoughts?

1.  Why not Philly?  Not that much farther than Allentown so it wouldn't affect travel very much.  More high schools should help with housing as well.  

2.  With DCA and DCI partnering for events (ie DCA finals in Indy next year before DCI Finals), what about Rochester, NY?  Yes, I know it is farther and would affect travel plans more than a smaller move would.

Thoughts?

Philly the only turf option is UP Franklin Field as has been discussed here. logisitical issues galore.

screw Rochester...if going up there go to Buffalo. whatever it's name is there year Park in Rochester holds maybe 6000 to the end zones

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NewArpege said:

They hosted competitions a couple years back in Chester, PA outside of Philly at the MLS stadium. The stadium is super nice, though Chester is not. But would be a decent option. They could also consider University of Delaware.

real turf in Chester. rain and props damaging the natural surface the last time they ran a show pretty much ruined drum corps ever going there again

Stadium capacity is always a visual mystery. Older, bench-type seating, venues often seat more people per lineal feet than more modern facilities. Allentown is certainly old in most every way. Primarily, its seating is cramped, aisles narrow. Part of the reason is there are no armrests to restrict patrons to equal-sized spaces. Extra cells around the waist must push upward, not outward! No cup holders, etc.

Installing chairback seating at newer facilities, while greatly increasing comfort, has the effect of making huge new places appear to have the same amount of seats per 100 yards as older, bench seating places. They do not. Also note, the newer facilities generally have many more aisles, more entry portals and maybe an added horizontal walkway removing out a few previous rows of bench seats. All provide greater creature comfort.

As grandiose as Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy is, the amount of concert side seats suitable for drum corps is (just my guess) about 22,000 seats. Great place, of course. I’ve been there a few times, and enjoy it.

My expectation is, DCI will be able to relocate affected persons adequately.

Thinking it through, possibly any damaged plank sections can be removed. In their place can be temporary fold-up stadium seats like families take to sports events. Who knows how this will be remedied this year?  

I’ll be watching on Flo.  Anxious to hear reports from the scene !

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the marketplace is moved due to consttruction of some type behind the scoreboard

The Market Place area seems like its been shrinking for a while.

Lots of "stuff" stored there.

A couple of friends who love in Allentown think that eventually the school

district will build some type of storage building there.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

did Lehigh finally get lights?

They don't have permanent lights.

You'd have to use temporary lights, which would be expensive

Based on that, Lafayette seems like a viable option. 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Philly the only turf option is UP Franklin Field as has been discussed here. logisitical issues galore.

screw Rochester...if going up there go to Buffalo. whatever it's name is there year Park in Rochester holds maybe 6000 to the end zones

When I marched, the East show was in Philly... it was awkward.  There was a sense of doom throughout the 'lot' warm-up (which took place in a sketchy overgrown embankment under an overpass).  We did not find Jimmy Hoffa... but we were fairly certain he was there.

As a Rochesterian, I can confirm that Buffalo is a far better venue... but also a very poor drumcorps atmosphere in both towns.  For a state with so many historical drumcorps,  NY does NOT know the activity like folks in Pa or Oh do.  The vibe of the event would be totally dependent on traveling fans, and the venue staff would be pushing popcorn and peanuts loudly during every balad.  The Buffalo show was always a real drag, with few fans and mostly intrigued locals.  Buffalo does have a couple of nice stadiums though, and Highmark (formerly Ralph Wilson) Stadium has a ton of space and nearby housing for corps.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

real turf in Chester. rain and props damaging the natural surface the last time they ran a show pretty much ruined drum corps ever going there again

IN the middle of MLS season, down the stretch run to the playoffs...and now the new MLS/Liga MX leagues cup, Philly Union isnt going  to want the turf to be chowed up . Plus, Chester isn't exactly a great place...IMHO. (Seriously, why doesn't the Union just build in that stadium complex in South philly).