Allentown uh-oh

I'm sure there are plenty of better stadium options than where Allentown is currently held in the North East corridor. I mean, 17% of the U.S. population lives there (more than 50 million people). There has to be better options.

The Allentown competition is there because of tradition, not because its the best location. That's fine. I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be a competition in Allentown. What I don't get is why it is so important for it to be a "Major Regional," especially where it isn't capable of hosting all the corps on the same day. DCI has abandoned other traditional locations in the past.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Thanks 1

Two things regarding Allentown.

1. the damaged seats, except for those who may have had to sit elsewhere, was a huge non-issue. It was a minor inconvenience, but it was hardly a whole section. I would guess maybe 50 seats were impacted. If I had to sit elsewhere because my seat was gone, I might not be so diplomatic, but that alone is not a reason to change venues because of it nor is it an example of negligence by the Allentown school district. Since it was a school event, it may be an example of poor monitoring, but that’s not a drum corps issue.

2. while I love Allentown as it is, there is a serious reason to consider a change of venue. I sat in Section H, Row 8, Seat 1. I was on the aisle of the 50 yard line. The stairs are uneven in size. A number of older people stumbled going up and down. Many people with special needs whose ability to due walk is impaired due to conditions such as cerebral palsy navigate stairs by taking on stair then attempting two. It seems to come naturally and part of the way they navigate stairs. My brother was born with CP and lived his adult life with people with CP and it’s fairly common. Stairs installed with people with disabilities in mind would not be so problematic. I did see a few people with special need’s have difficulties going up and down. I’m surprised at the accessibility issues since the stadium is primarily a venue for high school football games, but where it was built prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act and hasn’t been majorly revamped, so it’s probably grandfathered.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

1. the damaged seats, except for those who may have had to sit elsewhere, was a huge non-issue. It was a minor inconvenience, but it was hardly a whole section. I would guess maybe 50 seats were impacted. If I had to sit elsewhere because my seat was gone, I might not be so diplomatic, but that alone is not a reason to change venues because of it nor is it an example of negligence by the Allentown school district. Since it was a school event, it may be an example of poor monitoring, but that’s not a drum corps issue.

2. while I love Allentown as it is, there is a serious reason to consider a change of venue. I sat in Section H, Row 8, Seat 1. I was on the aisle of the 50 yard line. The stairs are uneven in size. A number of older people stumbled going up and down. Many people with special needs whose ability to due walk is impaired due to conditions such as cerebral palsy navigate stairs by taking on stair then attempting two. It seems to come naturally and part of the way they navigate stairs. My brother was born with CP and lived his adult life with people with CP and it’s fairly common. Stairs installed with people with disabilities in mind would not be so problematic. I did see a few people with special need’s have difficulties going up and down. I’m surprised at the accessibility issues since the stadium is primarily a venue for high school football games, but where it was built prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act and hasn’t been majorly revamped, so it’s probably grandfathered.

I fully get the difficulty in managing stairs these days.  I had a minor accident nearly a year ago with the result being a minor concussion, but a heck of a case of vertigo.  That lingers today.  I have balance issues occasionally,  but more so,  a lack of confidence to the point where I use hand rails or keep contact with walls.  Stadium stairs present a huge challenge as does getting to my seat once at my row.  I’m am in no way as quick to recover,  if I stumble. 
Properties I deal with in my working life very often require upgrading all ADA elements but there are ways around it through grandfathering.  But these are private properties not public ones like Atown.  The stadium should be upgraded throughout, to comply with federal law.  And it is a law.  Handrails up/down stairways should be provided, at the very least. I recently was at a show where there were handrails for some stairs but not all.  My anxiety level increased where there were no rails. It’s not difficult nor overly costly.  Much less than a lawsuit.

12 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

I'm sure there are plenty of better stadium options than where Allentown is currently held in the North East corridor. I mean, 17% of the U.S. population lives there (more than 50 million people). There has to be better options.

The Allentown competition is there because of tradition, not because its the best location. That's fine. I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be a competition in Allentown. What I don't get is why it is so important for it to be a "Major Regional," especially where it isn't capable of hosting all the corps on the same day. DCI has abandoned other traditional locations in the past.

It’s there because unlike many other places cost is low and it’s a turf field. Packed to end zones Friday, over 10,000 paid last night, no rain.

dci made $$$

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

There is a special-needs section for people to sit who cannot negotiate the stairs. It has been there since they revamped the stadium many years ago.

15 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

$$$ > Safety

Sounds about right.

Didn’t say safety was improved. Just explained why it’s there