100.0. Could it happen?

I think come finals week scores will be adjusted to represent the placement accordingly. Unless the top 4 have unrepresentative performances I doubt we are a 100.00 score. I don’t doubt BD will win in a couple captions and win overall. But, I seen them at 19.8 or 19.9 a best in those captions. Boston and Crown have the best chance a beating them in captions. Cavaliers will likely win percussion unless BD cleans up a lot! Cavaliers perc is just in fire as of late. I could see crown winning horns as well, and all the top 4 will fight for GE. However, I do think this is the best BD show ever….but that’s with a changed needing, Ala 2014. I think nothing will be settled until Saturday night, or Friday for the top 12. And isn’t that the best we can hope for in terms of fans? I’ve followed the activity for many years and I can’t see a year where everything is up for grabs like this year. 

• Like 2

Nah.  There are three second place corps this year, and in any category at least one of those corps could knock them off on a given night.

Besides, they would have to win every sub-caption.  Winning a caption by, say, losing a sub caption by .1 and winning the other by .2 would not be enough.

I do think they will break 99, though, especially with 3 other corps that can push up the scores with a great performance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brassboy said:

No because judges are able to go back after the last corps performs to fix and finalize their numbers for all corps. So performance order technically shouldn't be much of an issue anymore.

I forgot about that slotting option of captions.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

With cavies performing so early, they will not get a 10 in percussion, no matter how “perfect” they are. The judge will have to “leave room” to rank someone higher, in the not-so-off-chance someone makes a “stronger impression” ahead of them in the performance order. It’s just smart number management. 

But this DOES increase the likelihood the perc winner achieving 10, since multiple competitors have already beaten cavies in perc, and they all go on after cavies at finals.

10 has nothing to with perfection, and everything to do with (poor) number management. 

8 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I understand. However, I think that should be addressed. Here is a great example. 

A student is given a test and they make zero mistakes on the test... so they get a 100.

If I see clear mistakes like spacing issues and other things musical and I see in the judging that they got a perfect score... no, it doesn't deserve a perfect score.

Just my blue collar sense talking I suppose.

I have been complaining about this since WGI when a group got a 20 in visual even though a bass drummer fell down. The scoring system only makes sense to those who created it and who administer it. From the outside looking in you are 100% correct, but it's more about the ordinals and spreads than having a number value that can be applied consistently.

As magnificent as Blue Devils are (only seeing on Flo) I really can’t see much difference between Blue Devils and the 3 corps also thought to be medal worthy. Surely, each within tenths of a point from beating the Blue Devils.  But . . . .

without doubting Blue Devils as eventual DCI Champion, their dominance this season certainly makes the Blue Devils the safe pick”  in times of serious indecision. How could it not, with human nature affecting every one of us?

I will be quite satisfied with Blue Devils winning the whole thing. They’re great! At the same time, seeing Blue Devils losing one between now and late Saturday night in Indy will surprise, but not upset me. This, to me, is truly an “on any given night” season.

Edited by Fred Windish

Philosophical Point here

To my mind, obtaining a score of 100 should be something like reaching the speed of light - you can get close, but not quite there.  To hit light speed requires  infinite energy input for the last tiny bit of velocity.  Similarly,  to hit a score of 100 should require infinite demand/difficulty executed perfectly.  And no Corps ever has had infinite demand/difficulty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

With cavies performing so early, they will not get a 10 in percussion, no matter how “perfect” they are. The judge will have to “leave room” to rank someone higher, in the not-so-off-chance someone makes a “stronger impression” ahead of them in the performance order. It’s just smart number management. 

But this DOES increase the likelihood the perc winner achieving 10, since multiple competitors have already beaten cavies in perc, and they all go on after cavies at finals.

10 has nothing to with perfection, and everything to do with (poor) number management. 

Judges don't score the same way anymore. They can adjust scores after they see everyone. So Cavies can definitely get a 20 if they deserve it.

• Like 3

Love me those Devils, but no, they are not getting 20's in all the captions they would need from all the judges to get 100.000.  Even BD's 2014 show design and  the BD performer's performance of " Felliniesque " did not recieve a 100 from the caption judges, and with such separation from the other Corps around them . The  2023  BD " The Cut Outs " is far, far from that 2014 BD Corps ( as well as a few other BD years, imo ). I still believe 1 or more of the 3 Corps of Boston, Bloo, Crown will close the current gap between this week and Championships on BD so that its a horse race by then. But.... who knows, only time will tell.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1