Why is Jersey Surf even still a world class corps?

1 minute ago, year1buick said:

As a Rangers fan, I know full well that some times you’re the bug, others the windshield. Besides the fact that I’ve heard nothing but good things about the experience their members have, who knows where they’ll be in the coming years? (Not that I’m saying that’s their goal- I have no idea as an outsider.) Seems like a weird thing for the OP to rant about.

rangers lol 

4 hours ago, spacewill said:

I feel Surf kicked her puppy or something.  She also was rude about them making semi-finals last year....out of 8 posts, 2 are negative to jersey surf....

Some people are in fact…  ***holes.   

• Like 3

not every corps in World Class is out to win the ring. and thats ok

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

FWIW, they've got some legit names on their design staff - Alan Spaeth, Don Hill, and Mitch Rogers.

I'm pretty sure Spaeth was the designer behind their 2019 underwater show. That is still to this day one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time. The composition and aesthetic were so fresh, and it was the perfect, achievable vehicle to allow that year's performers to thrive. They were given a mature design without losing some of the whimsy they've become known for.

Not all drum corps shows need to be pushing the boundaries of the activity and sprinting to the podium. It may be hard for some to believe, but sometimes a show can have a profound impact on the audience without winning a medal, all while providing an opportunity for the members that many people can only dream of achieving.

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I mean...they weren't gonna sniff advancement in 2012 but everyone was talking about how fun the Bridgemania show was to watch.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I mean...they weren't gonna sniff advancement in 2012 but everyone was talking about how fun the Bridgemania show was to watch.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd pick that to advancement.

• Like 1

Surf should be in the class that best serves them and I believe that to be World Class.  I’m sure open class corps members do as well, but I can say I know of previous Surf marchers that are or were last year at BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown, Blue Stars and some on soloist roles.  Without Surf, some of these now top performers may have never had the opportunity they do today.

I can also say that after a pretty good season in 2019, they were looking at very close to a full corps in 2020 before Covid hit and would have been similar competitively to where Music City, Academy, and Madison Scouts are this year.

Rather than questioning why they’re doing what they’re doing, why not support them so that they can survive and grow in the next few years as high school bands come back to life and get back to pre- Covid numbers?

• Like 7