Why is Jersey Surf even still a world class corps?

On 11/12/2023 at 7:03 AM, Phantom56 said:

We will see how many DCI shows they are slotted for in a few days.  Hope they get good turn-outs for their November camps. 

i do believe Texas is back on their tour this year with some creative ways to get there without breaking the bank.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gantang said:

That is the similarity. Not doing full tours, losing often while being entertaining, etc. JS has been placing in the mid to low 20s for a decade, similar to Pioneer.

The goal of winning wasn't pushed at Pioneer. It was a place for kids to cut their teeth in drum corps before they moved on. 

Surf generally draws younger members in the region, and schools run later especially in NJ, so a spring training starting in May isn't feasible. but they have an opportunity now as they are the only Mid Atlantic region DCI corps. All age may also get more expensive for corps in the region since they have to go to Indy now......but honestly, that still an improvement when you consider Rochester vs Indy. I'll be anxious to see how Surf tackles this

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fifer said:

You could also look at it from the perspective of, why have BDB, SCV Cadets and Spartans (and now Gold too) not been required to move up to Worlds? Where is the line in the sand for scoring that calls for a corps to be in one class or the other?

class is determined by financials, not score. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fifer said:

You could also look at it from the perspective of, why have BDB, SCV Cadets and Spartans (and now Gold too) not been required to move up to Worlds? Where is the line in the sand for scoring that calls for a corps to be in one class or the other?

DCI has steadily detatched on field results from membership requirements, and that's a great thing.  Membership in World Class should absolutely be based on infrastructure, finances, and ability to participate.  The rest of the stuff is just window dressing.

Mike

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Will the All-age corps get paid for contests the same as the World Class corps? Anyone know?

yes but i believe the amount is different.

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2023 at 5:36 AM, keystone3ply said:

Congrats! Better than the Astros :whistle:

I want to know if @Hook'emCavies is an Astros fan! I've got family in Texas who are Ranger fans. Go Braves!

I am an Astros fan. Baseball is actually my first love. Watching Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio play in the Astrodome was special. I even remember folks saying they would never make the hall of fame because they refused to leave Houston. HA!

I used to respect the Arlington Rangers until 2017.... how they treated us during Harvey was extremely disrespectful. 

And I gotta be honest, trash talking the Astros has never bothered me that much. I have been a fan of the team through the best and worst times. Nothing is going to change that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I am an Astros fan. Baseball is actually my first love. Watching Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio play in the Astrodome was special. I even remember folks saying they would never make the hall of fame because they refused to leave Houston. HA!

I used to respect the Arlington Rangers until 2017.... how they treated us during Harvey was extremely disrespectful. 

And I gotta be honest, trash talking the Astros has never bothered me that much. I have been a fan of the team through the best and worst times. Nothing is going to change that.

Cool; just messing around. Glad to see you back! 💚