DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

10 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Horn lines have been doing this since the dawn of time.

Yeah, the good 'ole running down the line, having each person play a lick, and then a response from tech of "good" or "don't play that part...just move your valves" public shaming.

8 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

My only minor critique is I wish they had a better closing drill. "Just scatter over there for the last 20 seconds"....    it deserves better.

What happened to the brass finishing around the cut-out props?   I liked that better than rushing the pit thing they did last night.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ediker said:

In a color smorgasboard Bloo’s guard outfits steal the show. Love the change in color as they rotate. So many pretty moments musically/visually. To me, the narration seemed less intrusive on Flo. Live, it seemed a bit loud and a bit much. Bloo creates more effect with body movement than anyone else. 

If I wanted body movement, I would go to the ballet.  It seems like a waste of talent to have brass members rolling around on the ground for such an excessive amount of time.

While I absolutely acknowledge that today's drum corps shows are more intricate, and possibly more enjoyable, than decades prior, I feel that the amount of showtime dedicated to choreography has become excessive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, gjramsey said:

What happened to the brass finishing around the cut-out props?   I liked that better than rushing the pit thing they did last night.

It was visually a mess and they never once performed it cleanly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crown 1990 said:

We don’t know that at all….

I'd agree...looking at the recaps, the judges are definitely not in full agreement about BD. 

• 2 of the 4 GE judges had them in 2nd. 
  • 1 of the 2 music analysis judges had them in 3rd. 
  • The percussion judge was way too friendly to them IMO. I'd anticipate Julie will drop them lower. 

There are two things keeping them in 1st. Their visual sweep (but guard is FAR from guaranteed for them), and the judging disagreements on who should be 1st when they're not. If the GE panel gets on the same page and unifies around one winner that isn't BD, they drop further behind in percussion, and they lose guard, there is an opening for a corps to step in. 

Is that Crown? Maybe, their percussion puts them at a disadvantage. I'm still guessing BAC. 2nd in visual, 2nd in percussion, 3rd in music. If they get a favorable GE panel, they're in. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It was visually a mess and they never once performed it cleanly. 

wut?  I was told that BD could never do anything wrong.....😉

24 minutes ago, 90svet said:

If I wanted body movement, I would go to the ballet.  It seems like a waste of talent to have brass members rolling around on the ground for such an excessive amount of time.

While I absolutely acknowledge that today's drum corps shows are more intricate, and possibly more enjoyable, than decades prior, I feel that the amount of showtime dedicated to choreography has become excessive.

Bloo's guard unis were amazing..the corps "hippie camo" costumes/uniform were just not good (being nice) for all the body they were putting into the show.  People REALLY need to take note at what BD does in regards to this.  They actually make the form, pause so you can see it CLEARLY defined THEN do body.  Everyone else is in a hurry to be blobs.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Redacted said:

Afterthought? A LOT of props? You do realize the color pieces end up creating one of Matisse’s most famous works, right? They aren’t even close to being an afterthought.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/matisse-the-snail-t00540

Well they don’t really serve any role in the show until the end. That’s not so much a criticism, it’s just fact. Usually BDs props are used by the corps for staging and such.

8 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I love the interviews with show designers, it's fascinating to get a look inside their heads

Will never see The Cut Outs the same way again😳 And I'm totally fine with that. Would love BD to go all-out "dark show" one year

Did you see 2013? 2000 is their film noir show, could use a retread.

• Like 2