Dci fans should be ashamed of themselves

I utilized ChatGPT to write a short movie script regarding this topic. Everybody, enjoy this inspirational parable.

Title: Harmony Beyond Differences

Genre: Drama/Comedy

Setting: A crowded stadium during a drum and bugle corps competition.

INT. STADIUM - NIGHT

The stadium is alive with excitement as people gather to witness a thrilling drum and bugle corps competition. The Blue Devils, a renowned corps, are performing their intricate routine on the field. The crowd is engrossed in the performance, but one individual stands out - MIKEBD, a passionate Blue Devils fan, with a look of disappointment on his face.

MIKEBD (to his friend, SARAH) Can you believe this, Sarah? Look at them, just sitting there like they're watching paint dry! Don't they know the Blue Devils deserve a standing ovation?

SARAH (smiling) Calm down, Mike. Not everyone expresses their appreciation the same way. Let people enjoy the performance in their own way.

MIKEBD (frustrated) But it's the Blue Devils! They're legends! They deserve so much more than this.

SARAH (pointing at the audience) Look around, Mike. People are captivated by the performance. Some might not be familiar with drum corps traditions, and that's okay.

The Blue Devils' performance comes to an end, and the crowd erupts into applause.

SARAH (grinning) See? They're clapping!

MIKEBD (looking slightly embarrassed) Yeah, I guess you're right. But still…

INT. STADIUM - CONCESSION AREA - MOMENTS LATER

Mike and Sarah grab snacks from the concession stand.

MIKEBD (sighing) I just feel like they should know how hard these performers work. The dedication, the passion – it all deserves a standing ovation.

SARAH (nudging him) Remember, Mike, appreciation comes in many forms. The audience might not be as familiar with the drum corps culture as you are.

A MAN in his 50s, JOHN, overhears their conversation and approaches them.

JOHN (smiling) Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear. You're talking about the Blue Devils, right?

MIKEBD (looking surprised) Yes, I am. I just wish everyone would show more enthusiasm for their performance.

JOHN (chuckling) I used to be just like you, Mike. I've been a drum corps fan for decades, and I've followed the Blue Devils since their early years. But I've come to realize that not everyone knows the traditions and etiquette.

SARAH (nods) Exactly. It's not that they don't appreciate the performance, they might just not know when to stand or clap.

JOHN (smirking) You know, I've seen performers break down in tears because of the audience's reaction, whether it's standing ovations or polite applause. What matters is that the art form touches people's hearts.

MIKEBD (realizing) You're right. I got so caught up in my own expectations that I forgot about the emotional impact on the performers.

INT. STADIUM - NIGHT - MOMENTS LATER

The next drum corps performance begins, and the crowd is watching with a mix of awe and enjoyment. Mike stands up during a particularly moving section, but he notices others around him still seated. He smiles and claps enthusiastically, regardless of the audience's reaction.

EXT. STADIUM - NIGHT - AFTER THE COMPETITION

Mike, Sarah, and John exit the stadium together, still buzzing from the performances.

JOHN (smiling) Remember, Mike, being a fan means sharing your love for the art form and introducing it to others. Let the music and performances bridge the gaps.

MIKEBD (grinning) You're right, John. It's about spreading the joy and appreciation, not about expecting everyone to conform to my perspective.

SARAH (teasing) Looks like you've learned your lesson, Mr. Enthusiastic Blue Devils Fan.

MIKEBD (laughing) I have indeed. Let's continue celebrating the diversity of fan reactions and the unity that music brings us.

As they walk away from the stadium, the distant sound of drums still lingers in the air, a reminder that music transcends boundaries and differences.

FADE OUT.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MikeBD said:

BD is putting an amazing product on the field and dang near every corp has gotten a standing ovation except for the blue devils. I’m between the 30s i would say maybe 10 percent stood   

it really was disgusting and people need to grow the eff up.  I root for all corps cause the kids deserve it.  

and yes I am in the stadium 

I definitely get your sentiment. But I do also have to disagree. 

There was actually an article I read not too long ago complaining about standing ovations on Broadway. It used to be a standing ovation was used a sign of over achievement or excellence. And now everyone stands at the end of a Broadway show no matter what. 

While standing for a Broadway show is quite different from drum corps, there are moments that naturally cause standing ovations in drum corps. Troopers ending. Hell I bet troopers ballad gets one tomorrow at finals. Crowns ending. Phantom got a couple of them throughout tonight.

BD is fantastic. They perform well. But there isn’t much of their show that really naturally calls for a standing ovation. Heck I’m surprised there aren’t more for Mandarins. And I’m actually surprised it takes as long as it does to get people up for their ending. But no standing ovation doesn’t mean it’s not appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

everyone cheered watching in my sunroom, and most aren't usually BD fans....including one whos an alumni that didn't like many recent offerings

BD is doing the same basic show every year. It’s an ever more polished version of the same concept over and over again. It’s technically amazing in every possible way, and that’s why they will again win the gold. But do people feel anything? Eh. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

BD is putting an amazing product on the field and dang near every corp has gotten a standing ovation except for the blue devils. I’m between the 30s i would say maybe 10 percent stood   

it really was disgusting and people need to grow the eff up.  I root for all corps cause the kids deserve it.  

Trust me, I don’t mean this to be a jerk I am seriously asking are you new to drum corps?  Fans have reacted all sorts of different ways over the years for Corps and their individual performances.  It has been this way forever even pre-dci 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

When I attended Allentown, I stood for everyone!   The members all work hard and deserve to be appreciated.   That being said, sometimes my reaction is more enthusiastic for some groups than for others.   BD show was great, but it’s not the fan favorite in many ways.   It’s performed amazingly, but the show itself to many is not that compelling.  

Everyone around me stood and clapped for BD, but the enthusiasm was somewhat muted compared to others.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Triple Forte said:

Trust me, I don’t mean this to be a jerk I am seriously asking are you new to drum corps?  Fans have reacted all sorts of different ways over the years for Corps and their individual performances.  It has been this way since the beginning of the activity even pre-dci 

I love DCI, I think it’s the most amazing creative event of the year. 

Maybe they were in a total trance of amazement.  Seriously though, I didn’t have that sense around me.   It was as loud or louder than any other corps at the end of the show with I think most standing

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Trust me, I don’t mean this to be a jerk I am seriously asking are you new to drum corps?  Fans have reacted all sorts of different ways over the years for Corps and their individual performances.  It has been this way since the beginning of the activity even pre-dci 

I went to my first finals in Madison in 1086 and was hooked.  

I don’t care if someone hates the show but show a little respect for the kids. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

BD is doing the same basic show every year. It’s an ever more polished version of the same concept over and over again. It’s technically amazing in every possible way, and that’s why they will again win the gold. But do people feel anything? Eh. 

This is what i say to that, KMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1