Dci fans should be ashamed of themselves

27 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Comes with the territory. BD can pretty much sign anyone they offer now, they have the biggest org, the most money, the best sound system (maybe arguable), probably the best paid staff…keep going. They are the Yankees of DCI in the pre-salary cap era. If you’re a Yankees fan you love it, if you’re the Rays…not so much.

As long as their current staff is in place they are the ones to beat. They are a corp that has no staff or creative issues. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll be standing for all of the corps tonight, because all of them are grabbing me in some way or other this year. But I don't owe them a standing ovation because they worked hard.  Working hard is entry level for this division.  A standing ovation is not the minimum you must do to be polite, that's what clapping and cheering is.  It's not a participation medal, it means your hard work produced something that moved me.  

I have total respect for what BD do and they are/will be the deserved winners tonight (based on the judging system). Their kids are amazing. 

I often wonder if experts from outside the activity were watching (theatre directors, choreographers, brass band experts, drummers etc) who would they place first?

BD has the best show for the current judging system but some of the things they do (eg transitions between pieces) are just not my cup of tea and they don’t emotionally involve me like others do. 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, mbird139 said:

I was in section 139 and everyone stood and cheered. Heard no complaints at all about BD, just respect. .. and following Crown is not easy for anyone 

I was also in section 139, and I concur … we were all standing for BD before the final chords. And as I posted on the semifinals thread … ain’t nobody beating BD

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I get this sentiment. I don't "enjoy" a lot of shows, but being a drum corps alum, I know how much work and dedication it takes throughout a season, and today's kids are amazing and way more talented than I ever was.

Yeah, but hard work and dedication goes into every form of art. I see people at the theater all the time not standing. It's fine. 

Whenever you see someone not standing, you can't jump to conclusions. Not saying you are, of course. My mother, for example, she loves DCI. She's 83. If she went she would not be able to get up and down after every corps. There are other people that may have issues too.

Someone called me rude because I said if I were at Indy I wouldn't have shown up Thursday until the top 15. That is because I have pain if I sit too long and even attending finals would be brutal. God, yesterday would have been excruciating if I were there and stayed for scores.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Yeah, but hard work and dedication goes into every form of art. I see people at the theater all the time not standing. It's fine. 

Whenever you see someone not standing, you can't jump to conclusions. Not saying you are, of course. My mother, for example, she loves DCI. She's 83. If she went she would not be able to get up and down after every corps. There are other people that may have issues too.

Someone called me rude because I said if I were at Indy I wouldn't have shown up Thursday until the top 15. That is because I have pain if I sit too long and even attending finals would be brutal. God, yesterday would have been excruciating if I were there and stayed for scores.

Agree - Like I said in the rest of my post, I definitely don't expect everyone to feel the same way. And I certainly would not be upset if I saw an 83 yr old not standing. 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeBD said:

BD is putting an amazing product on the field and dang near every corp has gotten a standing ovation except for the blue devils. I’m between the 30s i would say maybe 10 percent stood   

it really was disgusting and people need to grow the eff up.  I root for all corps cause the kids deserve it.  

and yes I am in the stadium 

My first experience with DCI was as a freshman in high school back in 2000. I was in a competitive high school program and so naturally we aspired to DCI standards like many others. 

My band mates and I all had our favorite corps like our favorite athletic teams. Even as performers who valued the activity, we got mad when our favorite lost and didn’t like the corps who beat them no matter how good they were. It was personal to us. We’ve created a competitive activity that lends itself to rivalry and sometimes pettiness. 

As an adult I still have my favorite corps, but that is based off of style and philosophy more than some dogmatic commitment to my “home” team. I have my biases, but I fully admit that. I stand for everyone because I understand the work and passion that goes into it. 

Point being, as long as DCI is competitive and people have favorites, there are going to be those who will not cheer for their perceived rival. It’s the nature of the beast. Many others will appreciate all participants and rise above preferences. We've made it about winning...so it's going to be personal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1