2023 DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

1 hour ago, Chippy said:

What the heck is a Timeout message on Flo? Stops the stream.  It happened a couple times last night. Middle of Bloo, and couldn’t get the stream back. I changed tvs really quick but missed the rest of that show. Never hear back from Flo. 😡

No idea.

I had timeouts on DCP but not Flo.  It was happening when the server was flooded by requests to post. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There’s no need to infantilize it, it’s still a valid model and suggestion. It’s just one that I think will greatly decrease the interest both marchers and audiences have for the activity, and therefore I simply don’t agree that it is the right model for DCI. 

And I completely agree with you that it would be nice to allow corps to make art without having to worry about certain things that competition introduces, particularly budget issues. And that is why I’m in full support of sharing winnings equally or basing it off of who travels the most. Financially, I am all for any move that promotes parity within DCI and allows corps that are struggling a bit more financially than others to have as many resources as possible for a good and safe member experience. Doing so would prolong the survival of this activity

Isn’t that what Soundsport is for?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I am totally on board with either sharing winnings equally or basing it on who traveled the furthest. Both of those things would help the survival of as many corps as possible. 

Scrapping the competitive aspect of DCI will be the swiftest action one can take to create the downfall of this activity.

And before anyone says it, yes I know the COVID year happened and no, the actions of audiences during a once in a lifetime global pandemic is not representative of how this activity would continue if scores were eliminated for the rest of the activity’s existence 

I agree that the interest would tank. There's no easy answer. Sharing the winnings seems minor as I don't think winnings around to that much. Having centralized funding overall to give corps equal access to funding might help but it would never fly because of the risk of either mismanagement or hoarding/not spending at the corps level. And in no world would DCI have the infrastructure needed to successfully implement such a system. The NFL, they aren't. 

In a perfect world. If we could rekindle the local legion corps tours, i'd go. I'd watch the 84th Bucktail Regiment score 29 and enjoy their efforts. But there's no money in that and there was never intended to be. It's not something that will gain structural support today.. it's gone. 

Edited by Red Dragons
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Dragons said:

I agree that the interest would tank.

I don't agree that interest would tank.

I think that you would see improved design and execution as well as member experience. That could greatly influence the activity's accessibility to outsider audiences.

8 minutes ago, Red Dragons said:

But there's no money in that and there was never intended to be. It's not something that will gain structural support today.. it's gone. 

For most of drum corps history, organizations have been run on duct tape and dreams without much structure or rigor. If orgs continue to up the ante here, much could change for the better. I see SoA, Colts, and Boston as current standout examples here. There's lots of space in the grantmaking world (civic, state, and national) for legacy arts as well, which has gone almost entirely untapped, again do to lack of nonprofit organizational rigor.

Keep doing things the same way, you'll keep hitting the same problems.

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I don't agree that interest would tank.

I think that you would see improved design and execution as well as member experience. That could greatly influence the activity's accessibility to outsider audiences.

For most of drum corps history, organizations have been run on duct tape and dreams without much structure or rigor. If orgs continue to up the ante here, much could change for the better. I see SoA, Colts, and Boston as current standout examples here. There's lots of space in the grantmaking world (civic, state, and national) for legacy arts as well, which has gone almost entirely untapped, again do to lack of nonprofit organizational rigor.

Keep doing things the same way, you'll keep hitting the same problems.

Interest would most certainly decrease. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Vuitton said:

It's probably Grandpa Joe.

I think Grandpa Joe owns a campground.  He has been crowing about haw great it would be for the Corps to stay in campgrounds while in Indy.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

lets be honest...without Dan in 2010, DCI as we know it would be dead

Where was Dan Potter tonight ?

5 minutes ago, mrk said:

Serving a timeout for his Friday night age-out joke.

Which was? 

4 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Well, you and I like this idea. 

I didn't enjoy 2021 any less than any other year because it wasn't judged. 

I enjoyed the 2021 season too, but to me, it was basically corps playing fan favorites, along with some classic pop hits, thrown in to please the fans.  I believe without competition, drum corps would devolve into college bands, playing songs most people love, and having drills like moving stick figures, or forming designs from pop culture that most people would recognize. 

• Like 3