The Jim Jones leadership award (Drum Major)

On 8/14/2023 at 8:10 PM, fighterkit said:

So typically there is a multi stage process. The corps director nominates you with a letter of rec. You get an interview at San Antonio from Gene. He comes to a rehearsal to watch you conduct and lead, and then you get a judge tape at quarter finals. 

All of those criteria goes into the decision for the Jim Jones and the recipient. 

It was a fun process when I went through it

Seems like the process was complete (or nearly so) by time SoA performed at semis.  Probably too late in process to add another contender.   Which seems unfortunate.  

• Like 1

I suspect charisma has something to do with winning best DM. Phantoms DM had that special charisma and drama this year,  with her suspensful salute. Saw many excellent DM's this year, including Cadets, BD, Troopers etc.  I really loved that the majority of head DM's this year were female. When I marched, it was rare to see one. Also, great to see so many female soloists. Boston's stood out for me. 

I was part of a conversation a few years back about a drum major who did not receive the Jim Jones award though he was predicted to win. It turns out this DM did not want to be considered for the award. At least at the time (this would have been 2012-2013 or in that time frame) a DM had to be nominated and the DM needed to acknowledge the nomination. I believe a drum major could also apply.  That may have changed. There was either an interview or questionnaire involved, and the poise, conducting, and what we see was are not the only considerations. The award really is about leadership and the true test of leadership is what happens off the field.

I do not know any of the current crop of drum majors and the former drum majors I have met I usually met after they marched, though not always. What I have found is that the drum majors we often like best are often very effective when the spot light is not on them. It turns out some of the large personalities do not have large egos and in an activity where we have our fair share of people who are self important, that says a great deal.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 6:41 PM, KVG_DC said:

Heh. PR does seem to produce a lot of them.  

More of their DM over the years actually conduct.  Very few of us know what DM are better than others behind the scenes. 

Edited by TOC
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I would guess the award is given on the merits of an entire season and not a specific event. I applaud SoA’s DM for having the wear with all to get them through an unfortunate electronics failure.

Oh, BTW, Regiment hosts a Drum Major camp every year so maybe that has something to do with their success.  

That's the way I always assumed it worked, at least I'd hope so. Outstanding leadership throughout the season. 

Anyone can be flashy, entertaining, charismatic and noticeable on a single night (or three nights). 

59 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's the way I always assumed it worked, at least I'd hope so. Outstanding leadership throughout the season. 

Anyone can be flashy, entertaining, charismatic and noticeable on a single night (or three nights). 

Agree.  95% of successful drum majoring happens off competition field.  

Of course most of what qualifies someone for this is happening outside of performance time. 

But also, a DM that has done those things like leadership, conducting skill, good relations with the MMs, etc. has command of the performance to correct possible disasters like we saw. That’s the “qualities off the spotlight” translating to performance moments.  

As are the “this DM conducts in a way that draws out the performers’ best” sort of things. We see only what’s happening in the spotlight, but those moments can’t happen with all that’s going on outside the spotlight 

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Conspiracy theory or fact? You be the judge….pun intended.

I wouldn’t know. I just know the rumors that flew around when I was a DM

Did there used to be an award for best drum major? It’s not necessary to have an award similar to a caption award for best on the field level drum major, in addition to the Jim Jones, but there could be room for both. Doubtless PR’s drum major deserved the Jim Jones for her work through the year.

in the absence of such an “on-field” award, it is really nice that people on DCP are recognizing what the SOA drum majors and corps did to pull them through a really difficult moment. It was an unfortunate occurrence yet I was so impressed by how strongly they finished the program.