Bluecoats 2024

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

What I mean is to beat BD, become more like them. 

I’ll take 20 more years of second rather than become more like BD.  I don’t mean that as a slight to BD, Bluecoats have developed what is THEM.  They have a clear identity and to see them ditch that to win would break my heart.  They need to keep refining what has brought them the consistent success they’ve seen since 2013.  That’s what BD has done over decades. 

Always worth a look at what wins and what you can learn from it but don’t sell your soul…….

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Orwellian Wiress said:

The reason why people like Bluecoats is because they have their own identity

I agree. I love the Bluecoats how they are. However if the secret of winning GE and visual is to not have form to form drill and do nothing but staging and body movement, then you do what you gotta do. 

• Confused 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

What I mean is to beat BD, become more like them. 

But what I’m saying is that the design portion of the visual caption (visual analysis) is what Bloo beat BD in. And they beat BD in guard at various points this season as well. 

To win proficiency against BD, a corps is going to need to hire instructors with the same level of visual expertise as BD. The body movement vocabulary and execution at BD is on a different plane of existence than other corps almost entirely due to their instructional staff, not design staff. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

I’ll take 20 more years of second rather than become more like BD.  I don’t mean that as a slight to BD, Bluecoats have developed what is THEM.  They have a clear identity and to see them ditch that to win would break my heart.  They need to keep refining what has brought them the consistent success they’ve seen since 2013.  That’s what BD has done over decades. 

Always worth a look at what wins and what you can learn from it but don’t sell your soul…….

I agree with you, more than you know. 

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

If we're going to stay literary, do one of Cormac McCarthy's whacked out novels.  Maybe "Suttree" or "Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West".  That's out there even for Blooooo.  

YEAAAAH. If Bloo came out with the next Wicked Game out of nowhere it would be my favorite show

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

But what I’m saying is that the design portion of the visual caption (visual analysis) is what Bloo beat BD in. And they beat BD in guard at various points this season as well. 

To win proficiency against BD, a corps is going to need to hire instructors with the same level of visual expertise as BD. The body movement vocabulary and execution at BD is on a different plane of existence than other corps almost entirely due to their instructional staff, not design staff. 

This is where we are at an impasse. I thought Bluecoats body movement and vocabulary was equal to BD this year. I think I am beginning to understand that BD just shows more different elements, which you can more easily do when you break free from the conventional drill book. 

I'm sure we'll find out what Bloo has to offer...On June 28 or whatever it will be.  🤣

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Let's do a Yeats poem next.  

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,   

Slouches from Canton to be born?

I was thinking Lord Byron. The dude had a pet bear that he liked to swim with in his indoor swimming pool. There's gotta' be an interesting way to get that on the field. Maybe see if the Chinese Zoo's sun bear actors are DCI aged. 

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

The thread is about the Bluecoats.  Give it a rest for the love of god.  

Sorry I let the pathological persistence suck me in again. Like a bird that keeps crashing into a window. Won’t happen again