Carolina Crown 2024

On 2/9/2024 at 9:26 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I was in the first row on the 50 in Indy. I also saw them at the first show In Louisville that year.  I thought they would win after the first view. I hope those members know that despite not winning, they were a part of a truly special show and people are still talking about it now.

There’s a YT clip of the last +/- 2:00 of the show, and I’ve lost count of how many “music”—though not corps folks—I’ve shared that with, as an example of perhaps the most sublime B flat chord resolution ever produced on a football field.

Terri, for someone with such impeccable DCI credentials—to hold Crown ‘12 in such high regard—well, that’s pretty much the highest compliment anybody on these boards could make. 

If I could go back in time and only see one live, it’d be a Sophie’s Choice between this and Star ‘91…

44 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

There’s a YT clip of the last +/- 2:00 of the show, and I’ve lost count of how many “music”—though not corps folks—I’ve shared that with, as an example of perhaps the most sublime B flat chord resolution ever produced on a football field.

Terri, for someone with such impeccable DCI credentials—to hold Crown ‘12 in such high regard—well, that’s pretty much the highest compliment anybody on these boards could make. 

If I could go back in time and only see one live, it’d be a Sophie’s Choice between this and Star ‘91…

Just an old band kid turned drum corps kid. 😊 I just love the brass sound. 

I loved Star that year, too. But the Crown show will always be top dog for me.  The brass was not only just about perfect, the show was so elegant. I guess that’s the word I’m looking for. Remember they mistakenly announced Blue Devils as the winner of the Ott that year?  Great brass line, too, but I just about flipped. I wasn’t the only one either.  lol 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:15 AM, totaleefree said:

I thought it was kind of interesting. In 2022 at DCI I won a tour of the tornado center in Norman OK. The director of the center is a DCI fan and is the official DCI meteorologist.  I wasn't able to do it last year but theis year I plan on taking a break from the tour in OK and seeing how they track tornadoes and such

Ahhhhh yesssssss Dr. Kloessel is great! Love that guy, would love to go to a show or two with him. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:22 PM, nsxanax said:

Is anyone going to—wait for it—pony up for the Triple Crown Suite option at NightBEAT?

Of course.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Innovation

Coming back to this topic that my friend Karuna brought forward.  When I look across the activity .. unless you want a Bluecoats show.. I see pretty standard fare in visual and musical design. And when Crown tries to get too far outside their sweet spot it kinda flops. Yeah the brass choreo is a little stale. The guard work was under written last year and they could have executed more.  Percussion has really moved stylistically and it paid off.  Brass remains solid .. so with a new visual team .. we’ll see. I think with the new leadership there will continue to be some level of freshness .. maybe not necessarily innovation. 

Word is they recruited well .. with Crown being a perc destination .. !!! Guard filled early too. I hear bigger props .. which is not a Crown tradition. Who knows but I’m excited to see what they bring out .. 👑

Not too early to plan the NB hookup. 

👑👑👑 Suite for sure. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 3

Popcorn ready.  Is it June yet?

• Like 2