The Staff Merry-go-round

Vanguard won’t be back and it’s time to release Rennick and Gaines.

Gaines needs to go back to Cavies. Rennick can go be at troopers or help another corps elsewhere build up a percussion program. Though after this year everyone’s percussion was on fire sooooo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

For Blue Stars, I'm going to say this and possibly get crushed for it, but I think their biggest problem has been show design. I love all that Michael Shapiro has done, but his ideas have not been connecting.

For Troopers' guard, the staging and writing was their biggest problem, not so much the techs. Their caption head seemed young and not that experienced.

Cavies issue this year, and last, has been show design. That show design was not at the same level of the corps ahead of them. To move up, they need to step that up a notch.

Cadets, Mandarins and Phantom are all trending way up, so they do not need to make any changes. Their shows were so good last year, and this year's were at another level. For Mandarins, I believe most, if not ALL, of their design team and caption heads are post-covid hires. They need to protect them at all costs.

Top 4 - they were all SO GOOD!! I don't expect any changes here either. All sections and areas of each are so superior. Even Crown's percussion was much improved the last week.

Already can't wait for 2024!!

I feel that Troopers guard writing, staging and technique were all issues. They need to take a good look at all aspects of their guard program. 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Vanguard won’t be back and it’s time to release Rennick and Gaines.

Gaines needs to go back to Cavies. Rennick can go be at troopers or help another corps elsewhere build up a percussion program. Though after this year everyone’s percussion was on fire sooooo

You might be right (I hope not) but it’s not over until they announce their intentions.  

5 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I feel that Troopers guard writing, staging and technique were all issues. They need to take a good look at all aspects of their guard program. 

You're right. But I feel like without a good foundation, it's hard to put this year on the techs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

I'm sure this will not be popular but I would like to see the Rennick's back at Phantom regardless of the current staff.  No offense to the current staff, I just like the Rennick's results and writing better.

I'm not endorsing this per se, but the biggest thing about the Rennicks is their reputation and thus ability to attract talented members.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

For Blue Stars, I'm going to say this and possibly get crushed for it, but I think their biggest problem has been show design. I love all that Michael Shapiro has done, but his ideas have not been connecting.

I won't crush you. I think its just too safe and can't translate to a full corps. WGI Percussion designers in DCI work better than WGI guard designers in DCI. 

My personal opinion is the writing in a two parter - battery to horns cohesion and impact. The show was very technical with no pay offs really. The execution captions did all they could but if the judges don't like it you can't do much. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1