The Staff Merry-go-round

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

When talking about transparency, the keeper or source of information, like bios, should be the provider of the information. Freely and willingly.  Saying go Google it, doesn’t make it transparent.  

I have to respectfully disagree and find this argument to be an example of an issue with today's society. If someone really wants the info, it's out there. It shouldn't have to be spoon fed. And again, I see the real issue as fan's lack of understanding the adjudication system and philosophy and not so much needing to know a judge's background. 

• Like 3

For those new to this annual thread, a lot of Corps hold off traditionally on announcements of hired staff until Sept.. A lot of handshake style verbal agreements are made in season, especially at Championships. But then contracts need drawn up, sent, looked over, signed, returned... and staff being replaced notified. Sometimes we get info on comings and goings before Sept., but these things begin to accelerate in terms of public announcements usually right after Labor Day.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I have to respectfully disagree and find this argument to be an example of an issue with today's society. If someone really wants the info, it's out there. It shouldn't have to be spoon fed. And again, I see the real issue as fan's lack of understanding the adjudication system and philosophy and not so much needing to know a judge's background. 

WGI provides it.  Why not DCI?  When you go to the theater do you get a playbill?  You could just Google it to learn about the actors and director and all.  Does EVERYONE in the activity know everything about judging? No!  Maybe it would help learn more about it all and be more understanding about scoring, ranking and rating. What is the problem with having it available instead of saying go do 100 Google searches.  Good gosh we are tight-fisted about information.  Bizarre.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

For those new to this annual thread, a lot of Corps hold off traditionally on announcements of hired staff until Sept.. 

DCI has a policy that forbids corps from releasing staffing info for next year until after Labor Day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

WGI provides it.  Why not DCI?  When you go to the theater do you get a playbill?  You could just Google it to learn about the actors and director and all.  Does EVERYONE in the activity know everything about judging? No!  Maybe it would help learn more about it all and be more understanding about scoring, ranking and rating. What is the problem with having it available instead of saying go do 100 Google searches.  Good gosh we are tight-fisted about information.  Bizarre.

I've said over and over again DCI should provide information regarding the adjudication system and the philosophy DCI uses in regards to criteria being applied to the scoring system.

The issue here is we have fans who demand backgrounds of judges to "justify" their ability to judge. That's DCI's job, not the fans. The problem I have is that as soon as you put out judge's bios, fans will start making all these highly incorrect assumptions about the way a particular judge score. "oh they marched here that's why they won" "oh they taught at such and such and that institution is where all these particular drummers came from so that's why they won".

Now again, this isn't a DCI transparency issue when all the information is out there already. DCI would be better off utilizing resources to provide insight to the adjudication system to help fans understand that better. 

And if we really want to talk transparency, let's ask DCI where the hammer is as far as SCV goes. They sure gave it to Spirit and made them cleanup their act. But here we are watching SCV go down the tubes. 

11 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

And if we really want to talk transparency, let's ask DCI where the hammer is as far as SCV goes. They sure gave it to Spirit and made them cleanup their act. But here we are watching SCV go down the tubes. 

I think that SCV themselves have given themselves a hammer. Or a purple feather mind you. Screenshot_20230825_092400_Messenger.jpg

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

Yes.  The NFL does on an NFL site, extensive list of officials and other info like training process.

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/the-officials/2023-roster-of-nfl-officials/

And to clarify, you get their names and not a detailed bio of every league they officiated or played before now that qualifies them to do their job at the NFL level.

28 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I've said over and over again DCI should provide information regarding the adjudication system and the philosophy DCI uses in regards to criteria being applied to the scoring system.

The issue here is we have fans who demand backgrounds of judges to "justify" their ability to judge. That's DCI's job, not the fans. The problem I have is that as soon as you put out judge's bios, fans will start making all these highly incorrect assumptions about the way a particular judge score. "oh they marched here that's why they won" "oh they taught at such and such and that institution is where all these particular drummers came from so that's why they won".

Now again, this isn't a DCI transparency issue when all the information is out there already. DCI would be better off utilizing resources to provide insight to the adjudication system to help fans understand that better. 

The issue here is we have fans who demand backgrounds of judges to "justify" their ability to judge. That's DCI's job, not the fans. The problem I have is that as soon as you put out judge's bios, fans will start making all these highly incorrect assumptions about the way a particular judge score. "oh they marched here that's why they won" "oh they taught at such and such and that institution is where all these particular drummers came from so that's why they won".
You are putting far too much into this.  Sometimes people would like to know more about just who some of these judges are.  It is truly as simple as that.  Maybe others have an ulterior motive. Maybe. Many posters seem to know about many judges.  I don’t always want to take someone word for it so I ask questions AND read a bio, to compare and have my own opinion about a judge good or bad right or wrong. But I’ll keep it to myself.   And saying fans learning about judges will make highly incorrect assumptions, which is a wide ranging comment,  could also be a highly incorrect assumption.