The Staff Merry-go-round

3 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Bill Cook would beg to differ.... 

he bought it. there's a difference. Remember Sam Mitchell? or the guy SCV hired for 2020?

59 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I never knew his kids marched Colts. That makes a lot of sense. 

Is that how he got introduced to the activity?

(Sorry mods. I know this is off topic)

Yep. He was an great cat from what the MM's from Star used to say in the lot and at the buses. 

I'm sure you've already read it, but the brief history of Star is pretty well given step by step in the Bill Cook Recollections article.

http://www.blasttheshow.com/blast101/recollections.html

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep. He was an great cat from what the MM's from Star used to say in the lot and at the buses. 

I'm sure you've already read it, but the brief history of Star is pretty well given step by step in the Bill Cook Recollections article.

http://www.blasttheshow.com/blast101/recollections.html

Again, continuing off topic, but we won't get anything until Labor Day...

This statement from 1987 is 🤣😂🤣-inducing in 2023: "A valuable lesson was learned this year--props are difficult to utilize and they detract from practice in other areas"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Again, continuing off topic, but we won't get anything until Labor Day...

This statement from 1987 is 🤣😂🤣-inducing in 2023: "A valuable lesson was learned this year--props are difficult to utilize and they detract from practice in other areas"

But no one listened to him on that either 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

he bought it. there's a difference. Remember Sam Mitchell? or the guy SCV hired for 2020?

...the one who said "drum corps is dumb, we should do something else with this organization." Brilliant hire.😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, njthundrrd said:

About Bill Cook, I highly recommend you read these books.

Ready, Fire, Aim!
The Bill Cook Story II: The Re-Visionary

I was there the first few years and saw everything. The design team, the admin team, the tour team, the board of directors all had people that had immense drum corps experience!

Every year before we went on tour the whole staff went to Cook Corp for a luncheon and we heard his vision. I met Bobby Knight on multiple occasions and even went to the basketball game when he threw the chair.

Mr. Cook was like an uncle to me. He was there when my father passed and was there when I was at Regiment, Blue Stars, and Crown. When he died, his son knew me by name and my story with Star. Tremendous people. The activity sorely misses Bill Cook's business acumen. If I had more room on the internet I could tell a very small fraction of all the stories of his giving to humanity... anonymously. 

He guided a 21 year young man and encouraged my personal business growth. He even wrote a letter of recommendation for me that I wish I still had. It would be in a frame in my office. I am not who I am today without the guidance of Bill Cook.

Absolutely! And ditto!

Also, there are more than a few Star alums who joined the ranks of Cook Group and had (many still have) successful lifelong careers.

It’s almost hard to believe, but the lore is Star of Indiana was born in the stands of Grant Field at Georgia Tech during ‘84 championships week. So, between mid-August and audition camps (just over three months later), Cook got the properties, the staff, the equipment, and an infrastructure in place to start rehearsals. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scooter Pirtle said:

Absolutely! And ditto!

Also, there are more than a few Star alums who joined the ranks of Cook Group and had (many still have) successful lifelong careers.

It’s almost hard to believe, but the lore is Star of Indiana was born in the stands of Grant Field at Georgia Tech during ‘84 championships week. So, between mid-August and audition camps (just over three months later), Cook got the properties, the staff, the equipment, and an infrastructure in place to start rehearsals. 

100%!

• Like 1

Robert Blake is out at Cascades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

About Bill Cook, I highly recommend you read these books.

Ready, Fire, Aim!
The Bill Cook Story II: The Re-Visionary

I was there the first few years and saw everything. The design team, the admin team, the tour team, the board of directors all had people that had immense drum corps experience!

Every year before we went on tour the whole staff went to Cook Corp for a luncheon and we heard his vision. I met Bobby Knight on multiple occasions and even went to the basketball game when he threw the chair.

Mr. Cook was like an uncle to me. He was there when my father passed and was there when I was at Regiment, Blue Stars, and Crown. When he died, his son knew me by name and my story with Star. Tremendous people. The activity sorely misses Bill Cook's business acumen. If I had more room on the internet I could tell a very small fraction of all the stories of his giving to humanity... anonymously. 

He guided a 21 year young man and encouraged my personal business growth. He even wrote a letter of recommendation for me that I wish I still had. It would be in a frame in my office. I am not who I am today without the guidance of Bill Cook.

Bobby Knight- hmmmm

True story - I did undergrad at Purdue in 1980s.  Indiana is rival; to make life interesting father-in-law was IU faculty (his daughter went to Purdue). 

1991ish living in San Antonio.  They were visiting & watching IU game on TV.  My 3yr old daughter saw Bobby Knight on TV & says “Daddy says that man is the Antichrist.”   Perfect timing.  Wife not pleased.  

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1