The Staff Merry-go-round

26 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bobby Knight- hmmmm

True story - I did undergrad at Purdue in 1980s.  Indiana is rival; to make life interesting father-in-law was IU faculty (his daughter went to Purdue). 

1991ish living in San Antonio.  They were visiting & watching IU game on TV.  My 3yr old daughter saw Bobby Knight on TV & says “Daddy says that man is the Antichrist.”   Perfect timing.  Wife not pleased.  

Ah, kids!

44 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bobby Knight- hmmmm

True story - I did undergrad at Purdue in 1980s.  Indiana is rival; to make life interesting father-in-law was IU faculty (his daughter went to Purdue). 

1991ish living in San Antonio.  They were visiting & watching IU game on TV.  My 3yr old daughter saw Bobby Knight on TV & says “Daddy says that man is the Antichrist.”   Perfect timing.  Wife not pleased.  

Knight came and spoke to the marching members at TLB (Star HQ) in 1993. I remember him being affable and it seemed to me that he was truly into what we were doing. I remember thinking that he sounded pretty much exactly like he did in the '89 Finals vignette where he praised the work ethic of D&BC marching members.

I never liked his coaching style or his on-court demeanor but it was a cool moment in my life that I'll never forget, getting a motivational pep talk from Bob Knight.

Edited by GBugler

2 hours ago, GBugler said:

Knight came and spoke to the marching members at TLB (Star HQ) in 1993. I remember him being affable and it seemed to me that he was truly into what we were doing. I remember thinking that he sounded pretty much exactly like he did in the '89 Finals vignette where he praised the work ethic of D&BC marching members.

I never liked his coaching style or his on-court demeanor but it was a cool moment in my life that I'll never forget, getting a motivational pep talk from Bob Knight.

I think it was 1986 but the whole corps went and watched an IU basketball practice and the next day the basketball team came to Brown School to watch the corps rehearse. Bobby Knight and a couple of players walked up to the visual staff and were totally and honestly impressed with how hard the corps worked. They never knew.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

I think it was 1986 but the whole corps went and watched an IU basketball practice and the next day the basketball team came to Brown School to watch the corps rehearse. Bobby Knight and a couple of players walked up to the visual staff and were totally and honestly impressed with how hard the corps worked. They never knew.

Coach Knight brought his players to watch rehearse at Memorial Stadium. They were updating the turf and we were running reps in the parking lot. Coach Knight visited the Star Base one evening and watched us rehearse. He spoke to us and was gracious.

My recollection of the evening was the hornline in an arc and the neighborhood dog wandering out and loitering in front of us. Shortly afterwards another neighborhood dog arrives and, to our horror, attempts a conjugal visit as we played our chorale in front of a bemused Bobby Knight.

As a native Kentuckian, I was expecting Coach Knight to grab a marimba and hurl it across the field!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These recollections are amazing you all were part of a great legacy, not so sure about Bobby Knight, but can we get back on topic?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bobby Knight- hmmmm

As native Hoosier who grew up an IU fan in a divided household and split the difference and went to Ball State, that is pitch perfect for the era.

I was never a Bobby Knight fan in all of it.  Even before "the chair" and "the choke"

38 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

As native Hoosier who grew up an IU fan in a divided household and split the difference and went to Ball State, that is pitch perfect for the era.

I was never a Bobby Knight fan in all of it.  Even before "the chair" and "the choke"

Chirp Chirp

1 minute ago, fighterkit said:

Chirp Chirp

If this is supposed to be the sound at the Scramble Light.  I was there when the wonderful noisy  bell became that annoying chirp.

Also when classic Charlie Cardinal became that swoosh bird head designed by a David Bowie look alike.

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

If this is supposed to be the sound at the Scramble Light.  I was there when the wonderful noisy  bell became that annoying chirp.

Also when classic Charlie Cardinal became that swoosh bird head designed by a David Bowie look alike.

I have no clue when it started. My best friend goes to Ball State and whenever someone says the school name they say "chirp chirp"