The Staff Merry-go-round

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

Note my edit. I am not referring to similarity in music.

I have edited my post based on your edit. 🤝🏽

19 minutes ago, danielmontoyajr said:

It is true that I am not a fan of the arrangement of "Empire State of Mind." 

Wow. Honest reply. Clear, short, concise  and to the point. Without attacking the other poster.
You must be new to this website. 
This is an off topic question but, how would you have arranged it differently?  I rather liked the arrangement but now I’m interested in how you would have done it.  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Brass of the South said:

Wow. I did not expect that.

As a member of the Blue Knights, I didn't expect it either! When they fired our vis staff in 22, we knew on finals day, and had a decent idea why. But I was completed blindsided by the news that our vis staff was leaving. I thought they really knew their #### and were awesome, and I love marching bent leg, so I'm really curious to see who replaces them. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Scringus said:

As a member of the Blue Knights, I didn't expect it either! When they fired our vis staff in 22, we knew on finals day, and had a decent idea why. But I was completed blindsided by the news that our vis staff was leaving. I thought they really knew their #### and were awesome, and I love marching bent leg, so I'm really curious to see who replaces them. 

I was around a bit with y’all this season. I can see why they are gone. I think y’all have a lot of potential, and can’t wait to see what is coming for staff in 2024.

6 hours ago, craiga said:

Why Mr. Anova, you must realize that it is only considered "poaching" of the staff in question go to BAC.

In fact, some people here actually still refer to Boston as "Crown North", some 8 years after that staff move. 

I still haven't recovered from BD "poaching" Jay Murphy from us in 1981.

The best at the practice of “ poaching “( dislike that word , but some New Kids on the Block like to use this pejorative these days I guess , so why not )  was the  Star of Indiana . The Star of Indiana set the standard for making attractive contract and freedom of creativity outreach to who they wanted to design and teach there .

The Star of Indiana as a start up Corps in 1984 with a 1 million dollar gift  from millionaire Bill Cook of Indiana went out and immediately  “ poached “ Music Arranger Jim Mason from the Colts , then “ poached “ visual design icon George Zingali , then Marc Sylvester Drill writer and Michael Cesario Guard and Visuals ... all from the Cadets . Then Star of Indiana “poached “that same year  Dennis DeLucia ,Percussion Arranger  from the Bridgemen . It was one full swoop of Drum Corps All Star Staff , in one year alone, and Star was soon off and running .  ( good for them ). Nothing has come close before or since in bringing in All Star staff from outside the Corps to one start up, non finalist Drum Corps in all 5 sections of Music Writing, Visuals Writing  , Brass , Percussion and Guard as did the start up Star of Indiana. Drum Corps in 1984. Back then it was not unusual also for some staff to teach at Corps that competed vs, one another, similar to how Michael Klesch more recently simultaneously wrote for Academy and Carolina Crown.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

The best at the practice of “ poaching “( hate that word , but some New Kids on the Block like to use.this pejorative , so why not )  was the  Star of Indiana . They set the standard for making attractive contract and freedom of creativity outreach to who they wanted to design and track h there .

The Star of Indiana as a start up Corps in 1984 with a 1 million dollar gift  from millionaire Bill Cook of Indiana went out and immediately  “ poached “ Music Arranger Jim Mason from the Colts , then “ poached “ visual design icon George Zingali , also Marc Sylvester Drill writer and Michael Cesario Guard and Visuals from the Cadets . Then Star of Indiana “poached “that same year   Dennis DeLucia ,Percussion Arranger away from the Bridgemen . It was one full swoop of Drum Corps All Star Staff , in one year alone and Star was off and running .  Nothing has come close before or since in bringing in All Star staff from outside the Corps to one Corps in all 5 sections of Music Writing Visuals Writing  , Brass , Percussion and Guard . 

I think the next best thing was when SCV announced that they had hired Michael Gaines, Andy Toth, Adam Sage, JD Shaw, and Paul and Sandi Rennick. 

6 hours ago, craiga said:

Why Mr. Anova, you must realize that it is only considered "poaching" of the staff in question go to BAC.

In fact, some people here actually still refer to Boston as "Crown North", some 8 years after that staff move. 

I still haven't recovered from BD "poaching" Jay Murphy from us in 1981.

Actually, I would say it is only considered poaching if the migrating staff is from Crown. No one even remembers the recruitment from Cadets. Why isn’t Boston called Cadets of New England? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Actually, I would say it is only considered poaching if the migrating staff is from Crown. No one even remembers the recruitment from Cadets. Why isn’t Boston called Cadets of New England? 

There seems to be collegial and good relationship between the Cadets and the Boston Crusaders, now that G7 architect George Hopkins has been revealed to all that he is untrustworhy and of low character and has been booted from DCI. Besides, Colin McNutt is born and raised in Massachusetts ( Falmouth ). marched Boston Crusaders, taught Boston Crusaders.. before later winding up being the Percussion writer for the Cadets. When Colin returned to the Crusaders in 2016, there was thus more the sense he was " coming home ", than being " poached " from the Cadets. 

Corps staff have moved from Corps to Corps for decades, and even predates the formation of DCI in 1972.  So there really is nothing new under the sun with this. But some recent alums/ fans  seemingly prefer to use the pejorative " poaching " when staffs leave and decide to go to another Corps.  Its kind of silly, imo, but maybe we can stick with this silly word this off season if some are so inclined.😊

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 9