Mandarins 2024

Hype Train would make a good show theme....lay down a bunch of classic funk.  Parliament, Bootsy, etc.  Land a freakin Mothership prop at finals and have Dr. Funkenstien come out.  

I love that I have NO idea what Mandarins might pull for a theme next year but I am absolutely sure it'll be amazing.

• Like 2

YEAAAAHHHH LET'S GO

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Hype Train would make a good show theme....lay down a bunch of classic funk.  Parliament, Bootsy, etc.  Land a freakin Mothership prop at finals and have Dr. Funkenstien come out.  

I love that I have NO idea what Mandarins might pull for a theme next year but I am absolutely sure it'll be amazing.

And maybe, just maybe, a hint of Tower of Power off the top.

So we can have Live from Sacramento again.

• Like 3

In past years, there was always some criticism - percussion is weak, brass is weak, brass book is easy or don't play enough, singing doesn't belong in drum corps... 

So while they always got some fan support, this year was by far the most "fan-friendly" show ever. It was obvious from day 1 that they would bring down the house in Indy and be on a lot of "favorites" lists.

Their design team and caption heads are all relatively new, so I imagine their shows are only going to get better, which is scary. I just hope they can meet or exceed the level of design they achieved this season and continue to connect with all fans.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

In past years, there was always some criticism - percussion is weak, brass is weak, brass book is easy or don't play enough, singing doesn't belong in drum corps... 

So while they always got some fan support, this year was by far the most "fan-friendly" show ever. It was obvious from day 1 that they would bring down the house in Indy and be on a lot of "favorites" lists.

Their design team and caption heads are all relatively new, so I imagine their shows are only going to get better, which is scary. I just hope they can meet or exceed the level of design they achieved this season and continue to connect with all fans.

This year it was "I guess _____ will have to add circus rides since that's what GE passes for now days."

Congrats Mandarins, you've been successful enough to spawn troll haters! 

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

This year it was "I guess _____ will have to add circus rides since that's what GE passes for now days."

Congrats Mandarins, you've been successful enough to spawn troll haters! 

Some people just couldn't stand the idea that their precious corps was in a battle with a former D2/3 champion. They better get used to it cuz I don't think the Mandarins are going anywhere. 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

did they not change perc and brass caption heads along with brass writer over the last 4 years though? I thought the colts perc staff went to Mandarins, Key Poulan didnt write, and the brass staff are Bluecoats alums now.  So those criticisms may have been true but now they found the perfect mix to move up.  Credit for getting no names compared to other groups that want to chase old names.  This is the future of drum corps (as I called them before the Blue Devils and Bluecoats child)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

did they not change perc and brass caption heads along with brass writer over the last 4 years though? I thought the colts perc staff went to Mandarins, Key Poulan didnt write, and the brass staff are Bluecoats alums now.  So those criticisms may have been true but now they found the perfect mix to move up.  Credit for getting no names compared to other groups that want to chase old names.  This is the future of drum corps (as I called them before the Blue Devils and Bluecoats child)

Yes, I'm pretty sure all, or at least most, of their design team and caption heads are post-covid hires. They must protect them all at all costs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1