Mandarins 2024

if they can get the percussion to improve, look out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Mandarins had a brass camp this past weekend. My son didn't give away any details of what they have so far, but this is what I took away from the conversation...........

To anyone thinking the Mandarins were a cute little story and one hit wonder that will fall back to earth in 2024.............prepare to be highly upset Saturday Night, August 10th.

Great to heat that, Chief!  One of my son's HS classmates just got a contract with Mandarins so we'll be cheering for the corp once again this coming summer.  I'm sure they've got something GREAT cooking for a follow up to last year.  😎

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

Great to heat that, Chief!  One of my son's HS classmates just got a contract with Mandarins so we'll be cheering for the corp once again this coming summer.  I'm sure they've got something GREAT cooking for a follow up to last year.  😎

Thanks brother and congrats to the kid who got contracted! They are going to love their experience in Sacramento.

Did your son find a new home this summer to march?

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if they can get the percussion to improve, look out

12th in 2019, 9th in 2022, 7th in 2023....I would say the staff has got them going in the right direction.  I know some of the percussion staff and what they are building and it wouldnt be a surprise to see that improve again in 2024.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

To anyone thinking the Mandarins were a cute little story and one hit wonder that will fall back to earth in 2024.............prepare to be highly upset Saturday Night, August 10th.

Anyone thinking this has been willfully keeping their head in a hole in the ground.  This isn't like when The Academy struck gold.  This has been planned and developed for growth.

And yeah, if they can start tapping into some of that insane California percussion talent we see every year in WGI, then...woo. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DAYGO said:

He did.  After the Cadets announcement, he decided to put all of his eggs into one basket for auditions.   He really wanted to work under Matt Harloff and be a part of the Crown brass line.   He worked extremely hard leading up to the first camp and was given a lead mello contract soon after.  He's really enjoyed the camps so far and we're all exited for him and the coming season.  Here we go again, Chief!

Heck yea!! Congrats! I will definitely be rooting for your boy to slay it this season. Going to be another great summer indeed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Anyone thinking this has been willfully keeping their head in a hole in the ground.  This isn't like when The Academy struck gold.  This has been planned and developed for growth.

And yeah, if they can start tapping into some of that insane California percussion talent we see every year in WGI, then...woo. 

Man, you aren't lying about the percussion scene in Cali. Here in SoCal alone, you can't throw a rock without hitting a drummer. They are deep out here!

#6 bass drummer for Crown last season currently attends my son's Alma Mater Vista Murrieta High School. He had huge support and we were all very proud of him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Man, you aren't lying about the percussion scene in Cali. Here in SoCal alone, you can't throw a rock without hitting a drummer. They are deep out here!

#6 bass drummer for Crown last season currently attends my son's Alma Mater Vista Murrieta High School. He had huge support and we were all very proud of him. 

Question from a brass guy - is #6 the big one or the small one?