Mandarins 2024

Late to the party, but I just got to hear Sinnerman for the first time.  OMG.  I don't know what I was expecting, but they blew me away.  Incredible integration of the singing into the show, and that kind of blues in drum corps is a very rare thing.  

Anyways, back to 2024, but wow that was awesome.

Mike

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Question from a brass guy - is #6 the big one or the small one?  

Big One. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spacewill said:

12th in 2019, 9th in 2022, 7th in 2023....I would say the staff has got them going in the right direction.  I know some of the percussion staff and what they are building and it wouldnt be a surprise to see that improve again in 2024.

yup. i think upstairs is where it hurts more. but they are doing good things

On 2/23/2024 at 4:54 AM, DAYGO said:

He did.  After the Cadets announcement, he decided to put all of his eggs into one basket for auditions.   He really wanted to work under Matt Harloff and be a part of the Crown brass line.   He worked extremely hard leading up to the first camp and was given a lead mello contract soon after.  He's really enjoyed the camps so far and we're all exited for him and the coming season.  Here we go again, Chief!

Congrats to your son! This gives me one more reason to cheer for Crown! Hope he has a great summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

BUMP!  Really looking forward to what Mandarins have in store this summer!  My son has 2 HS buddies that will be on the field with Mandarins this summer and I'm excited to follow their first summer with the corp.  They've been at our home a few times recently with my son catching up, watching DCI performances and eating up all of my food (🤣).  I stay out of their way, but love to hear them talk shop from a distance.  Some of us "dinosaurs" tend to think that they don't appreciate the corps and shows of old, but you'd be surprised.  They respect and appreciate where the activity came from and how it has evolved.  They spend hours watching and listening to performances from the 80's and 90's which tickles my heart because those eras spawned the bug that bit me.  They are great kids and I'm excited for them to join the Mandarins family this summer!

Edited by DAYGO
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DAYGO said:

BUMP!  Really looking forward to what Mandarins have in store this summer!  My son has 2 HS buddies that will be on the field with Mandarins this summer and I'm excited to follow their first summer with the corp.  They've been at our home a few times recently with my son catching up, watching DCI performances and eating up all of my food (🤣).  I stay out of their way, but love to hear them talk shop from a distance.  Some of us "dinosaurs" tend to think that they don't appreciate the corps and shows of old, but you'd be surprised.  They respect and appreciate where the activity came from and how it has evolved.  They spend hours watching and listening to performances from the 80's and 90's which tickles my heart because those eras spawned the bug that bit me.  They are great kids and I'm excited for them to join the Mandarins family this summer!

That is so correct! Back in 2022 when my son was with Gold, we housed some of the kids at our home. It was DCI MANIA round the clock! Shows from all eras were being watched. Alot of these kids are definitely well aware of the past and have a ton of respect for those who paved the way for them. 

Walking into my living room and seeing 16-18 year olds watching 1982 Blue Devils, brought a tear to my eye lol. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That is so correct! Back in 2022 when my son was with Gold, we housed some of the kids at our home. It was DCI MANIA round the clock! Shows from all eras were being watched. Alot of these kids are definitely well aware of the past and have a ton of respect for those who paved the way for them. 

Walking into my living room and seeing 16-18 year olds watching 1982 Blue Devils, brought a tear to my eye lol. 

I love that.  Jim said a few kids were curious about the old days when he was volunteering and he was more than happy to answer their questions. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mandarins end up finishing in 5th place, this year. The Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, and the Boston Crusaders will have 1-4; but the Mandarins definitely have the momentum and resources to claim the 5th spot in the top tier. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...