Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

With all due respect to the Mandarins organization, I highly doubt BD is sweating them at this time. I believe this was most likely a scheduled post that coincidently fell on the same day. 

Without a doubt, Mandarins are getting better every year. But as long as BD continues to attract top talent and keeps the nucleus of their staff in place, the Founders Trophy will call Concord home more often than not. 

I appreciate the respect for BD and understand this is not a diss on the Mandarins. I do expect that while BD’s staff depth and stability and reputation led to a very strong recovery post-pandemic, Crown, Bloo, and BAC will continue to close the gap and one of them will capture the Founders’ Trophy soon, with the others not far behind. But BD will get their share. And I am looking forward to Cavies, Mandarins, and PR upping their game as well, as well as hoping for a strong reentry from SCV.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I appreciate the respect for BD and understand this is not a diss on the Mandarins. I do expect that while BD’s staff depth and stability and reputation led to a very strong recovery post-pandemic, Crown, Bloo, and BAC will continue to close the gap and one of them will capture the Founders’ Trophy soon, with the others not far behind. But BD will get their share. And I am looking forward to Cavies, Mandarins, and PR upping their game as well, as well as hoping for a strong reentry from SCV.

I think we both agree that there will eventually be someone other than BD finishing on top. I just don't see them staying there for long. But it should be a fun ride either way and I'll be the first to admit that I've been wrong before. 

27 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

For long = until Scott Chandler decides to leave. 

Maybe, but I wouldn't be shocked if Chandler (and most of the other top staff at BD) have successors ready to hit the ground running the second they retire.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

Unfortunately, we live in an era where someone can take a comment, flip it, and conform it to whatever narrative they want to convey and take the original comment completely out of context. But I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't see it as a diss towards Mandarins or any other corps either. 

Honestly, it's nothing more than keeping it real whether some like it or want to accept it or not. And the reality is BD will be the favorite to win it all every year until proven otherwise. 

Someone might step up and win DCI this year, and it will be exciting, well deserved, and earned. But guess what, BD will still be the favorites for 2025. They earned that over these last 17 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't be shocked if Chandler (and most of the other top staff at BD) have successors ready to hit the ground running the second they retire.  

Nailed it. 

I could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing that BDs current staff doesn't have their respective successors either identified, and/or already attached to the hip, and they are mentoring and grooming these people to eventually take over at some point. 

Not saying this will happen, but who here would be shocked if 5-10 years from now, Brandon Olander takes over for ScoJo and leads BDs percussion into the 2030s-2040s.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Nailed it. 

I could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing that BDs current staff doesn't have their respective successors either identified, and/or already attached to the hip, and they are mentoring and grooming these people to eventually take over at some point. 

Not saying this will happen, but who here would be shocked if 5-10 years from now, Brandon Olander takes over for ScoJo and leads BDs percussion into the 2030s-2040s.

I’m with you on this Chief.  And there are BD staffers who’ve been with them since the early to mid 80’s.  I would guess they have had successors in place for quite a while now and I wouldn’t be surprised if those successors have THEIR successors waiting in the wings.  Brandon could be one of those folks.  One thing BD does and has been able to do, more than other orgs., is have long range plans in place. That contributes to their never ending success.  To others dismay.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I agree. BD shouldn't even be worried about them at the moment. NOW.......... if/when the Mandarins continue on this upward trajectory, who knows, this could be a conversation in 2026-2027. 

But there are levels to this.

I miss the era where you could jump or fall multiple places based on performance.  Example 1973 BD was 24th, in 74 they were 9th, 3rd in 75 & won in 76.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I miss the era where you could jump or fall multiple places based on performance.  Example 1973 BD was 24th, in 74 they were 9th, 3rd in 75 & won in 76.  

Idk brother, based off what you described, I think we still see that to a degree. 

Crowns rise in the placements from 2006 till they won it all 2013. 

Bloo's rise from when they first medaled, in 2010 till their first title in 2016. 

Boston's surge over the last 6-7 years. 

Mandarins steady climb since 2017, that now has them sitting in the catbird seat of top five going into this season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Major improvements in execution led to fewer ticks.  

• Like 1