We’ve Gone Theatrical… Let’s go more.

Home sweet home from DCI 2023! And pondering “what’s next” in the activity. 

I love these shows. And the kids and the staff that produce them. Over the past 30-40 years we’ve seen the implementation of Asymmetrical drill, sound systems, props of all sizes, performers “above” the field on ramps, athletic wear replacing traditional uniforms, the body work of plies, “poop squats”, the switch to Bb horns from G bugles, the mandatory 32nd note triple tongue runs that start at the trumpets and end at the tubas, upside down quad drummers, and more. 

And I LOVE every bit of it….

But what’s next? When 4-5 corps each year end up micropoints apart near “perfection” it seems it’s time for more innovation to break open the current configuration of a drum corps show. 

And to that I say this… we’ve gone “theatrical” with set pieces, narraration, tarps, and sound equipment. Why stop there? 

Why not put wireless stage lights on those sky- scraping props. Incorporate special effects like wind, explosions,earthquakes, waterfalls, etc? 

Put silks on drones, and fly them in time to music over the field. Put MEMBERS in hovercraft and take “3D” to a whole new level? 

Can’t happen you say? 

In the late 70’s, most drum corps experts would have said NONE of what is currently happening would happen. 

The activity now has a “compulsory checklist” mentioned above and the shows while  entertaining as hell check off those unwritten compulsory boxes. 

Where’s the next George Zingali, who once asked in the late 70’s… “what if we tied helium balloons to every shako” almost jokingly. And then went on to revolutionize drum corps. 

Some of my best DCI friends will think I’m being cheeky… I’m not. 

You know what if took to break Blue Devil dominance year over year? 

The 2016 Bluecoats innovating like hell in Downside Up with ramps, electronics, athletic wear over uniforms, etc. 

Well guess what… Blue Devils are now dominating again. And they get comfortable when no one is changing the way the game is played because they are better at the current game almost 100 percent of the time. 

Who’s the next George Zingali and what will he or she bring to DCI Production? 

We’ve gone “theatrical”… let’s go all the way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Home sweet home from DCI 2023! And pondering “what’s next” in the activity. 

I love these shows. And the kids and the staff that produce them. Over the past 30-40 years we’ve seen the implementation of Asymmetrical drill, sound systems, props of all sizes, performers “above” the field on ramps, athletic wear replacing traditional uniforms, the body work of plies, “poop squats”, the switch to Bb horns from G bugles, the mandatory 32nd note triple tongue runs that start at the trumpets and end at the tubas, upside down quad drummers, and more. 

And I LOVE every bit of it….

But what’s next? When 4-5 corps each year end up micropoints apart near “perfection” it seems it’s time for more innovation to break open the current configuration of a drum corps show. 

And to that I say this… we’ve gone “theatrical” with set pieces, narraration, tarps, and sound equipment. Why stop there? 

Why not put wireless stage lights on those sky- scraping props. Incorporate special effects like wind, explosions,earthquakes, waterfalls, etc? 

Put silks on drones, and fly them in time to music over the field. Put MEMBERS in hovercraft and take “3D” to a whole new level? 

Can’t happen you say? 

In the late 70’s, most drum corps experts would have said NONE of what is currently happening would happen. 

The activity now has a “compulsory checklist” mentioned above and the shows while  entertaining as hell check off those unwritten compulsory boxes. 

Where’s the next George Zingali, who once asked in the late 70’s… “what if we tied helium balloons to every shako” almost jokingly. And then went on to revolutionize drum corps. 

Some of my best DCI friends will think I’m being cheeky… I’m not. 

You know what if took to break Blue Devil dominance year over year? 

The 2016 Bluecoats innovating like hell in Downside Up with ramps, electronics, athletic wear over uniforms, etc. 

Well guess what… Blue Devils are now dominating again. And they get comfortable when no one is changing the way the game is played because they are better at the current game almost 100 percent of the time. 

Who’s the next George Zingali and what will he or she bring to DCI Production? 

We’ve gone “theatrical”… let’s go all the way.

Nice post and good thinking.

I get bummed out now and then at some of the plain junky stuff on the field. (Madison's almost inexplicable rolling speakers this year; Blue Stars dumping into their show each year every possible prop, often to little marginal effect.) But when done well, and as part of a fully coherent show design, all the new things you speak of are brilliant and entertaining.

It's probably none of the "things" that cause me to frown during performances. It's that they are often poorly used.

Like movies, I think. Some great story ideas in movies are often poorly executed. Because making a film is a collaboratively creative process, it is super hard to get it right. I think we want it that way, BTW. It further spotlights those films that do it all very well.

We should support innovation, even if it challenges convention, and applaud those who get it right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Been saying this ever since I discovered marching band and drum corps

• Like 1

I've been out of the DCI game for over a decade and today's DCI is unrecognizable. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on that but it's just the way I feel. But don't get me wrong, I'm not the old guy that says no to innovation and progress because that's the way it's always been. If today's DCI participants are happy with the product then good for them. I want DCI to succeed and give people memories and experiences that I had when I was that age. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd have much interest in it if today's product was what I had offered to me at that age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We’ve been theatrical for 20 years.   Every year this activity resembles my daily life in theatre more.  At first it was cool. Now it feels like I’m watching work.