We’ve Gone Theatrical… Let’s go more.

15 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Make the product 360… and sell the other 65 percent of the seats. 

College band I was in (Purdue) was huge at 400+ members.  We often did symmetrical drill with 1/2 playing to front side & 1/2 playing to back side w/ drums in middle keeping it all together.  

• Like 1

I love this topic.  While I could be considered a dinosaur as I matched in the late 70s and early 80s, I do enjoy the over the top performance of today's drum corps.  I have often thought that drones may be the next innovation, with streaming directly to an app so you can get up close and be a part of the drill.   Better yet, cameras attached to MMs for real immersion.  Then streamed to an app.  

16 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Home sweet home from DCI 2023! And pondering “what’s next” in the activity. 

I love these shows. And the kids and the staff that produce them. Over the past 30-40 years we’ve seen the implementation of Asymmetrical drill, sound systems, props of all sizes, performers “above” the field on ramps, athletic wear replacing traditional uniforms, the body work of plies, “poop squats”, the switch to Bb horns from G bugles, the mandatory 32nd note triple tongue runs that start at the trumpets and end at the tubas, upside down quad drummers, and more. 

And I LOVE every bit of it….

But what’s next? When 4-5 corps each year end up micropoints apart near “perfection” it seems it’s time for more innovation to break open the current configuration of a drum corps show. 

And to that I say this… we’ve gone “theatrical” with set pieces, narraration, tarps, and sound equipment. Why stop there? 

Why not put wireless stage lights on those sky- scraping props. Incorporate special effects like wind, explosions,earthquakes, waterfalls, etc? 

Put silks on drones, and fly them in time to music over the field. Put MEMBERS in hovercraft and take “3D” to a whole new level? 

Can’t happen you say? 

In the late 70’s, most drum corps experts would have said NONE of what is currently happening would happen. 

The activity now has a “compulsory checklist” mentioned above and the shows while  entertaining as hell check off those unwritten compulsory boxes. 

Where’s the next George Zingali, who once asked in the late 70’s… “what if we tied helium balloons to every shako” almost jokingly. And then went on to revolutionize drum corps. 

Some of my best DCI friends will think I’m being cheeky… I’m not. 

You know what if took to break Blue Devil dominance year over year? 

The 2016 Bluecoats innovating like hell in Downside Up with ramps, electronics, athletic wear over uniforms, etc. 

Well guess what… Blue Devils are now dominating again. And they get comfortable when no one is changing the way the game is played because they are better at the current game almost 100 percent of the time. 

Who’s the next George Zingali and what will he or she bring to DCI Production? 

We’ve gone “theatrical”… let’s go all the way.

sure. you paying for it?

i do think actual acting coaches could go a long way to improving story telling and role playing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Make the product 360… and sell the other 65 percent of the seats. 

you take that curtain down and the sound quality inside goes to ####

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

sure. you paying for it?

i do think actual acting coaches could go a long way to improving story telling and role playing

Yes. Crown could have used that for sure 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yes. Crown could have used that for sure 

Question -- was King Arthur supposed to be part of the guard?   I didn't think I ever saw him ever spin a rifle or a flag.   

All he ever did was "emote"

• Like 1

I think I've matured enough as a dino fan to now accept live animals on the field. 

Troop - you managed to lasso the sun. Get after dem wild broncos out there on the 50 yard line. 

2 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I think I've matured enough as a dino fan to now accept live animals on the field. 

Troop - you managed to lasso the sun. Get after dem wild broncos out there on the 50 yard line. 

Live animals is so 45 years ago.  But with SkyRyders looking to re-establish….

• Like 1